Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Headliner removal

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner removal

Truck is a 97 K1500. Can anyone tell me how to remove the headliner?
Thank You Gentlemen!
Scooter
Old September 2nd, 2013, 7:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pickup head liner

Adishnal
Originally Posted by Scootertrash
Truck is a 97 K1500. Can anyone tell me how to remove the headliner?
Thank You Gentlemen!
Scooter
There are several examples following ///On the 94 don't worry about trying to take the rear headliner trim down, it is a real pain in the @ss. You can slide it in with it intact. Just take the side pillar pieces down and the front will have velcro above the window in 3 places and of course the visors - they have 3 screws each. Try to take them out and remember there orientation so it will be easier to put them back in.
It's not that bad. You will need to take the visor's off and all the trim aouund the outside of the headliner. If you have a console on the headliner it will need to come off as well. I'm thinking either a phillips head or torx screwdriver is what you will need. You may need some wrenches depending on what else needs to come off.
Its not hard, you just pull off the A pillar and then unbolt the sun visors
and center console if it has it. Then depending on is its extended or
regular cab remove the top door latch cover or B pillars. Then pull the
latches for all the grab handles and the coat hangers, then there is a
couple velcro above the headliner that is all thats left holding it up.

You will need to unplug the dome/brake light harness as mine was glued to
the headliner.
You have to pull the visors, light, and trim. Most trim is held in by clips on the back, or may have some screws. There may be some panels which overlap an adjacent panel, and hide a screw or clip. Go slow, and don't try and force things. The panel is then held by about 4 "push pins" or clips. It's not really hard to get out, but be careful with the foam board, it is easily broken.

Once out, rip off all old material and brush off all the residual foam. A wire brush is good for this task. Use 3M spray adhesive on both the board and material and bond together. Then cut out any holes for lights, visor mounts etc.

I found a fabric store close to me that actually carries a good line of headliner material. 3M spray adhesive can be found at most hardware/building supply stores and even Wal-Mart sometimes.

You may save about $40 to $50 bucks or so by doing it yourself, but an upholstery shop can do it "painlessly." You can also pull the panel, and then let an upholstery shop replace the fabric and svae a few bucks.

Last edited by stevejohnson48; September 2nd, 2013 at 7:22 PM. Reason: additional info.