Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Heaviest load in bed of your Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2014, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heaviest load in bed of your Silverado?

Hauled a 1 ton pallet of coal from tractor supply in Clarion to Pittsburgh. Suspension and drive train seemed to handle it with no strain but I made sure I stayed in 3rd gear and kept speed as low as possible.

I'm not recommending this since that load put me about 500# over original spec before mods but I had no other way to get bagged coal for the winter. The mods were more than enough to handle the extra 500# though.

With the extra helper spring the back end only came down to parallel.

1990 Silverado 4WD X/Cab 350cid
Load range E tires extra HD helper spring, Crate 350cid, rebuilt HD tranny w/HD torque CV and cooler

Last edited by SmokeyCity; October 31st, 2014 at 1:37 PM.
Old October 31st, 2014, 9:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the semifloating axles, brakes and chassis are overloaded...no way to beef them up. the federales are so strict up here that you wouldn't dare do that. They would have you pulled over and ticketed and you'd be paying to get it towed home as that would be the only way they allow you to move it...that or remove your load.

Last edited by tech2; October 31st, 2014 at 9:41 PM.
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

yep that was my worst fear.

If you get caught on the pike in PA (part of) your fine is ONE DOLLAR per pound over.

as for the brakes, If I were to tow a 2,000 trailer that did not have its own brakes, wouldn't that be the same work for the brakes?

How can the brakes be adequate for a 2,000 tow, but not for a 2,000 haul?

Originally Posted by tech2
the semifloating axles, brakes and chassis are overloaded...no way to beef them up. the federales are so strict up here that you wouldn't dare do that. They would have you pulled over and ticketed and you'd be paying to get it towed home as that would be the only way they allow you to move it...that or remove your load.
Old November 1st, 2014, 5:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm not debating the numbers. your correct, weight is weight.

I want to run a 1500lb slide in camper in my 1500. the cargo weight capacity is 750lbs. I could air add 5000lbs air bags to the rear springs, and i'm sure my 4 disc set up could handle the braking. Who wants to get stopped by the ministry when on vacation a long way from home. So I guess its 2500 shopping time.

Last edited by tech2; November 1st, 2014 at 5:51 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

like death and taxes there seems no way around the fact that towing over spec just tears up the truck and the politburo will eventually take your money.

Originally Posted by tech2
I'm not debating the numbers. your correct, weight is weight.

I want to run a 1500lb slide in camper in my 1500. the cargo weight capacity is 750lbs. I could air add 5000lbs air bags to the rear springs, and i'm sure my 4 disc set up could handle the braking. Who wants to get stopped by the ministry when on vacation a long way from home. So I guess its 2500 shopping time.