Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

HELP!!! 89 tbi Backfire, crackling sound HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2011, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! 89 tbi Backfire, crackling sound HELP!!!!

I have had this problem with my truck for about a yr now, I will try to explain it the best i can so 1st off I have an 89 chevy silverado w/ 5.7 tbi 4x4 and a while ago I was getting a car wash then the undercarriage wash started (spraying the bottom side of my truck) and it dies and wont start so I tow it home figured cap and rotor got wet, so replaced them and nothing so I replaced the module under the cap and still nothing so I figured it was the computer behind the glove box and replaced that and nothing still, the only way I could/can get it to run is by unplugging the timing advancement wire I believe it's called just a male and female plug you can unplug when u do the timing on the vehicle, so it's unplugged still and the s.e.s. Light is on rough idle feels like all the power is not there just doesn't seem right, but when I plug the wire back together it backfires crackles blows black smoke will not start unless ur foots on the gas, I mean u cannot drive it like this at all I mean it sounds pretty bad, but u unplug it and it starts right up and idles but it rough like I stated above, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this prob or if anyone can help me out!! Thanks a lot for looking, and ur time and if u have any questions feel free to ask!!
The following users liked this post:
EsquireLongDong Skelton (March 12th, 2021)
Old October 2nd, 2011, 2:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

How long since you washed the undercarriage has this been going on? Also the ses light, was it on before? I'd suggest unplug all engine connections (if this just happened since you washed it) and with an electrical contact cleaner, spray the connections, then rehook them up.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 3:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scan it that what light is for.But you probably brought the light on by disconnecting the timing bypass wire. Can check by jumping points a&b at scan port.. underdash at sterringwheel. Can jump with paper clip ,or a wire. Turn key on .. do not crank.
Will start flashing codes .. first will flash 1 time short pause then 2 flashes.
Will be 12.. means system is working. Then it will start flashing other codes .. example
3 flashes short pause 2 more flashes will be code for egr. You said you were washing it .. check for wires that may have got knocked loose. Need to check timing.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

This happened about a year ago, also I forgot to mention after I got it home, after the whole wash thing when I would push the cap down with my hand it would run so I think the was broke one of the screw off on my cap and made it sit crooked so when I would push it flat it would run so then I started replacing things? Could it be my plugs or wires? And as far as the s.e.s. Light goes it was never on before the wash, I did try pluggin a snap on scanner into it but bein it's obi 1 it doesn't really tell me much but I did the a&b jump and after the 1 flash then 2 flashes it did that code 2 more times then it did 4 flashes then 2 flashes right after, it did that could a few times also, then it went back to the 1 then 2 flashes 2 more times then the 4 then 2 flashes so what does this mean? Thanks a lot for your guys help!!
Old October 3rd, 2011, 7:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok you brought on the ses light when you disconnected the timing bypass wire.
Try this plug timing bypass back. Crank truck.. then disconnect coolant temp sensor.
It is located beside thermostat housing .. 2 wires. See if this makes a difference.
If not try disconnecting tps / throttle position sensor .. on the passenger side of throttle body. Did you have distributor loose for any reason?
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

I did have the distrib. out I replaced something inside of it or something I can remember but I had to take it out to replace some electrical component, put it back in and I was 180 deg. off so I turned it and tighted it all back up
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

I did have the distrib. out I replaced something inside of it or something I can remember but I had to take it out to replace some electrical component, put it back in and I was 180 deg. off so I turned it and tighted it all back up
Old October 3rd, 2011, 1:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Did you time it at 0 degrees tdc? If not this is your problem. Must of replaced pickup coil.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 1:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by loosebearing
Did you time it at 0 degrees tdc? If not this is your problem. Must of replaced pickup coil.
Thats the only thing you would have to pull the distrubutor for, if thats what he did, I can't believe he would forget that experience.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Ok tried unplugging thermostat sensor with bypass connected and wouldn't start, unplugged tps with bypass connectected and would not start also, and yes pickup coil sounds right. And I was at tdc I lined up the harmonic balancer correctly and I think I did advance the timing to plus 3 or 4 nothing to crazy. But yea anymore clues? Or ideas? Thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply: HELP!!! 89 tbi Backfire, crackling sound HELP!!!!