Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help, please, with choosing the right Silverado for tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2015, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, please, with choosing the right Silverado for tow vehicle

Hello!

I am new to this forum. Actively looking to purchase an older (2003-2006?) Silverado 2500 as tow vehicle for new gooseneck horse trailer. Trailer weighs 4650 loaded with 3000# of horse flesh. Tongue weight 1120# per trailer dealer. I've done a lot of studying to make sure I have enough truck for what I am towing and most 2500s seem to fit the bill.

I've been using this sites VIN decoder to read up on specs of potential trucks. Some dealer list "tow package" on their sales site, but how do I verify this? The VIN decoder site under specs doesn't seem to list a generic "tow package". Some lists things like "suspension package, handling/trailing." Some list things like "external oil cooler", "internal transmission cooler" and/or "external transmission cooler." As you can tell, I am NOT mechanical!

What are the most important specs I should look for to ensure I get the best towing options? I am also confused as the 3.73 vs. 4.10 rear axel option.

And will a 6.5' bed suffice for the gooseneck, or do I need a full 8.0' bed?

I am looking at gas engines--the 6.0L. Also potentially the 8.1 with Allison transmission but these seem few and far between.

Any help much appreciated!!!!! Sorry for so many questions!