Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help! Silverado keeps warping rotors

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help! Silverado keeps warping rotors

This is a link to the other forum about this:https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...-rotors-49030/

Ok so here is the latest. Got my truck back from the Chevy dealer. It's been a week and already have really bad vibration on the truck when braking from highway speeds. They put brand new rotors and drum brakes on this thing, and not even a week later it's back to its same old habits! I have driven this truck like a baby, taking 2000ft. To slow down from highway speeds, not using my e-brake, not going faster than 70 on the highway cause maybe going 75 heats the rotors up more than 70, etc...

Called up the Chevy dealer and the guy told me that these trucks are known for this and that every truck like this has the same problem. I'm pretty much getting the run around now. I like the truck, but I dont like people saying it cant get fixed. I feel like they should be responsible for completely fixing the problem, no matter what it takes, whole new brake system, new tire rims, etc. this truck literally has 33,000 miles on it, and i have a warranty for up to 96,000. If i keep bringing the truck into them every week, at what point are they just going to refuse me service?

Is it possible to get a GM engineer look at the truck?

Does the 4x4 version of this truck have the same problem?
Old March 8th, 2012, 4:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> derektoews,

Does this only occur when braking? Is the vibration felt in the steering wheel? This may be caused by an interaction between the front brake lining material and the front brake rotors. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

If it is felt in the seat, beam shake may be the culprit. The body mounts may need to be updated. Again, this is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

Your certified technician should be able to assist you further.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 8th, 2012, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Louis,

It only occurs when braking, and only when I am going faster than 60mph. There's no vibration in the steering wheel, but if you place your hand on the door panels, you can feel it, but the vibration is mostly in the the brake pedal.

I'm getting the feeling from my technicians at both dealerships that they are not interested in really solving this problem...
Old March 8th, 2012, 6:26 PM
CF Active Member

I think you need to and i hate to say it but get after the dealers really hard you have been in too many times for them to just suspect that its just a braking problem. If your truck can take down a brand new set of brakes in a week or two you have a problem you just need to make them know it too. it almost would seem like your axle is bent i dunno how else it could take brakes that fast. i have also seen that the people that have louis the GM REP. help like giving the vin number and what dealer it seems like they get quicker better service.
Old March 9th, 2012, 3:28 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> derektoews,

Possibly the idle arms and tie rods? Again, just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

Have you done any modifications to the vehicle?

If you would like, I can contact the dealers to see if they will offer any additional information. If you would like me to do so, please PM me with your full name, VIN number and the name and city of the dealerships.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

so you've done new drums and rotors multiple times...any other components? (calipers, pins, master cylinder) and the vibration is only in the pedal coming down from highway speeds?