Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

helper springs

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default helper springs

I haul a trailer with 4 wheelers every other weekend and my truck sags a little more than I want it to...has anyone used the hellwig helper springs or is there something else that is better?

I've heard some things about the timbren load boosters but i don't know much about them. Any opinion helps!
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done different things over the years. you could use a air shock, or air bags, or get a shock that also has a coil in it. I had those on my last suburban, they seemed to work good. not that cheap, I think the where $80 a shock.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Default helper's

kinda depends on how much you want to pay and what you are willing to put up with .
helwig springs are ok but they can make noise ,the4y can slap on the end's of some and
put enough tension on the helper's to raise the truck slightly (1-1 1/2 Inches) on other model's '
not to badly priced .seen $90.00-$125.00 very little maintenance
timbrens give you more bang for the buck they do not make contact untill you put the load on the truck (no maintenance) the only thing to look out for is that you have enough installed height .you need about 3/4 1" of clearance between the booster and the Axel .the truck
looses ride height with age . $150.00-$225.00

air bag's are nice for ride but they are a pain ,you have to have a minimum amount of air in them to keep from tearing them up . $150.00-$299.00 depends on the capacity . a air compressor on the truck would be a plus $115.00-$200.00 additional .
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:08 AM
CF Active Member

these would be easy to put on. they will ride a little stiff but not to bad.

These units also include a heavy gauge calibrated spring for extra control and comfort. A new pair of Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorbers can assist in maintaining ride height when up to 1,200 lbs*. of additional weight is loaded. These units are ideal for light trucks that carry varying loads or tow trailers.
Attached Thumbnails helper springs-5399670_raw.jpg  
Old May 11th, 2010, 9:29 AM
Super Moderator

i just put new shocks on my truck so i'm not really wanting to go through that again..i've got a friend with the helwig helpers and he loves them. just pulled a trailer to his deer lease loaded down with four wheelers and what not and it didn't sag a bit but i've also heard good things bout them timbren load boosters so i'm stuck
Old May 11th, 2010, 1:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi country_09,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

It depends on how much you want to spend and how much effort you want to expend.

It has been my experience that helper springs provide more overall support, while the coilovers tend to lift the vehicle a little more.

You can add one, then add another later, for a more beefed up ride.

Or you could just add a leaf or two to your leaf springs, and maybe throw on a set of HD gas shocks.

You can also get adjustable air shocks, then you can just add air when you're trailering,but they tend to fail after some usage.

Last edited by therewolf; May 11th, 2010 at 1:45 PM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 2:46 PM
Super Moderator

i think i'm just goin to get the helwig helpers since i've already seen them in action....thanks for the opinions!