Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

HID Kit tips

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2009, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Kit tips

I have a 1994 Chevy Silverado and I plan on installing some hids.. does anyone know if i need a relay harness to hook to the battery directly? thanks
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Its nice to have, because there have been reports of burnt wires and blown fuses because of the high amp draw of the HIDs. You shouldn't have any problems just going with a plug and play.
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

The burnt wires are caused by the extreme amount of current needed to start the light bulbs, but once they get going they draw very little current, and the stock wire usually can't handle the strain. Another thing to consider, is that it is technically illegal to install HID's in a vehicle that did not come from the factory that way. I went with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in my '95, in both high and low beams which were a hundered percent better than the standard bulbs. Then on top of that I added a relay that lets the low beams stay on when the high beams are activated. With both of those in place and I am going down the highway at night and flick on my highbeams, they just light up the world!!! Plus Silverstars are legal. Just my 2 cents.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Unless you've got a projector style headlamp like on the Denali, an HID kit isn't going to do you much good, except perhaps getting you pulled over by every single cop you drive by.

Hit up a auto parts store, plop down $40-50, and get yourself some Silverstar Ultras. They are absolutely phenomenal. I do quite a lot of night driving, and since it's Seattle, it's always raining, regular headlamps hardly light up anything in those conditions, but the Ultras just dominate. I can see so much farther, and wider, and they don't give off glare the way an HID kit does.
Old February 17th, 2009, 4:31 AM
CF Junior Member

I picked this up on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6364&viewitem=

Just had to find a place to mount the ballasts and they work awesome! Driving with any other light seems dull...
Old April 9th, 2009, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Questions for both the Silverstar users and the HID users.

I've heard the Silverstars are bright but they don't last long, anyone confirm or deny this? How long do they last?

For the HID users, do you high beams, low beams, or both? How are the lights when switching back and forth between hi and low?

Thanks

Dave Cover, 2000 4x4 Ext cab
Old April 10th, 2009, 8:57 AM
CF Active Member

i have low high and fog hids on my 2000 and i love them and havnt had any problems at all never been pulled over either personally i wont ever own any other type bulb i cant see when i drive my wifes car at night cause she dont have them