Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 28th, 2015, 3:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Lights and 2007 Silverado Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2008, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Lights and 2007 Silverado Crew cab

What a great forum !! keep up the great work guys. A few questions...

I just bought a 07 Chev Crew LTZ and I love it. I want to replace the existing lights with HID ones. But my local automotive guy told me that this can not be done b/c the day time running lights (which i need and are law) run off the same bulds but at a lower voltage. So the HID will not spark up and light (they will flash ).

Also does anyone know how to by pass so i can see the DVD on the navigation screen while in drive and not just in poke.

One last question. What do you guys know about OnStar. Is it a waste of money (i have a cell phone and road side assistance why pay that fee). I really really want to have blue tooth cell phone service so i can use my cell over the speaker system.

Thanks in advance for help

Jason
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: HID Lights and 2007 Silverado Crew cab

dont know about the lights, but for the DVD player to run while in drive you are gonna need a kit that you can buy online that allows you to watch and drive. its about 250 bucks. cant find the site off hand but if you look youll find it.

also dont know about the bluetooth either. sorry
Old January 26th, 2008, 7:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Your car guy is correct in the sense that they use the same bulb for DRL and low beams. I've changed my bulbs for the HID. The DRL worked using the same bulbs, no flashing. This might be specific to different brands of HID balasts. Many just plull the fuses for the DRL.

Regarding your other questions check out
http://coastaletech.com/
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:26 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that iis86 is talking about switching his headlights over to true HID's, not just replacing the bulbs with the fake blue or purple aftermarket units.

To do this you may be able to switch the DRL portion over to the amber turn signal bulbs, you'll notice that many cars (Corvette for one) use these bulbs for DRL functions.
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

yes ZX1100F1 thats is exactly what I mean. A true HID light and not just a fake bulb that is actually not as bright as the factory bulbs (just a different color). My auto guy actually showed me the flicker that happens when you put in the new ballast and HID lights. So what I did was install some Piaa bulbs (www.piaa.com). They are just as bright as a base model HID light and I think they look incredible.

My auto guy is also trying to sell me on replacing the air intake and buying the after market chip to modify some of the settings (sorry for the very high tech mechanic talk :-) ). Anyone done this ? and how much gas mileage will I increase (enough to pay for it in a few years ?)

Thanks again.. this forum rocks.
Old January 27th, 2008, 6:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I guess I'll be the old fart here, but why update the headlights? They are more than adequate from the factory. In fact, I hate driving my other vehicles at night anymore due to how good these are.

Secondly, why does the DVD need to work in Drive? For the kids? If so than, great, but as a driver, you need to watch the road.

Sorry, just curious.
Old January 28th, 2008, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

HID headlights increase visibility by 300% and last 10 times longer than factory bulbs. They also run with less wattage and less strain on battery and alternator.

And I wanted the DVD up front so the passenger can watch what is in the back.... lots of times right now with kids, it would be nice to see what is on the screen (for example navigating through the DVD menu).

Old January 29th, 2008, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

You might want to check your local laws before converting the navigation system to allow the DVD display. Most states prohibit the operator of a motor vehicle from watching television or movies while operating a motor vehicle. I agree with IAfarmer,the driver needs to concentrate on driving not watching a DVD.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

In New York it is not legal to have a tv screen within view of the driver (on or off). Its section 375 sub24 of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law.That is why it is set up like it is although I believe under the description of the law the navigation screens are technically not legal either. More importantly if it is there and on,even for thepassenger, you will find yourself looking at it. Its just not safe!!
Old January 30th, 2008, 4:59 PM
CF Junior Member

i just ordered hid's for my 04 1500.... try www.sporttruckdirect.com

hope this helps
trev

Quick Reply: HID Lights and 2007 Silverado Crew cab