Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Home made cai

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2009, 9:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home made cai

Intention to let more HOT air in.
Cost is, basically, none, as I had this filter for 2 yrs plus some duct tape

Old March 12th, 2009, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what?

wait a second...... Why in the world would you want to get more hot air in. makes no sense to me. The reason for a cold air intake is to get cold air into the engine. thus "COLD AIR INTAKE".
Old March 12th, 2009, 9:19 AM
CF Junior Member

How is this a CAI? I was thinking you had routed the airbox to under the truck and then used a big *** cone filter or something... but i can't see how what you've done would improve anything.
Old March 12th, 2009, 9:48 PM
CF Active Member

What? I don't understand this... explain a little more please. Hot air really isn't going to do you any good. Why would you want to get more hot air? I'm confused.
Old March 13th, 2009, 7:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting....

you killed your gas milage, IATs, and power by letting in that much hot engine air.
Old March 13th, 2009, 9:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe it was a joke? because he seems smart to me. and he knows about air temps and power differences... so maybe its a joke. boy i hope so. because ive seen some peoples cars with that setup and they claimed it made things better. the best one ever was the birds nest in where the filter box goes when he left it out while he was gone. oh man it was too funny. but yea i hope hes joking... are you???
Old March 14th, 2009, 7:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, not joking.
ever since combustion engine times, folks were trying to warm up fuel or let more hot air into the engine, hoping to improve mpg.
basically, i did this on a hunch. hunch was simple: i have ambient temp in the mirror and FIa temp off my Scangauge. I had the last disconnected for about a year, then hooked it back as a toy, basically.
for no reason, maybe because it was cold outside, i set one of the readings to monitor FIa - Farenheite intake temp. don't ask, ask Scangauge designers why the name. they have FIa and FCa, which is coolant temp.
anyhow, i found an interesting fact. with stock box, there was no significant temp difference between ambient and intake air. about 3 degrees. negligent.
going back into history, i had 04 CR-V that, in my stupidity, i equipped with Typhoon CAI. which dropped mpg by 10% immediately.
so, one day i looked at my truck stock filter box and said - hmmm....
then, simply removed the bottom half of the box and flipped upper half 180 degrees. sealed filter.
idea was to let more HOT air into the intake and see what happens to mpg. reason for it was because truck definitely bests mpg summer time drops it badly winter time.
basically, short of resonator orifice in the plastic piece, it is now direct pipe to the throttle.
so, here's findings:
1. there is no difference in temp gradient driving. 3 degrees. slow traffic or red light - yes, it goes up to about 80 degrees, but drops down right away to, basically, outside temp in about 30 seconds of driving.
2. day one, mpg dropped to 15.5 on the regular routes. of course, it was still cold outside, in 30s
3. as of the last 2 days, ambient temp went up, to about 55-60. my mpg, surprisingly, basically, returned to pre-mod level. 17.5 average.
4. butt dyno shows definite improvement.
5. to put this all to the end, yesterday, i did full blown googling on hot air intakes. results are most peculiar. about 25 percent claim modest mpg improvement. one person had mpg drop. most had no significant difference. (needed to say, that what they came up with is TRUE HAI - hot air drawn in off exhaust manifolds or radiators)
now, most agreed on something i'd have never anticipated. HOT AIR TURNS ENGINE INTO A TOAD. obviously, ECM leans out mixture so much, that it becomes detrimental to power.
so, now, i have decision to make. do i keep this mod because of better power feel, or re-stock everything to it's OEM condition?
i guess, for now, i'll run it for few more refills. the way it is with Scangauge, it needs to be calibrated for mpg correctness after refill. if it'll stay around 17.5-18 avg, which i am used to on this truck, i'll keep this mod. if not - stock box it is.
Old March 15th, 2009, 1:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_air_intake
Says that drawing more air makes the vehicle compensate by opening the throttle wider, thus bringing in more air volume. More air volume means more burnable oxygen and uses less fuel for combustion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake
Says that cooler air is more dense, and contains more oxygen. More oxygen means there is a more complete burning, thus needing less fuel for combustion.
Cool air helps keep internal engine temps down and has more explosive force.

It comes down largely to how well your engine compensates. Atomization will be optimum either way. Cold air is better because you bring in more air in the same volume.

Let me break it down.
Explosive pressure + Static pressure = Overall force exerted on piston.
Cool air always expands to a greater volume than the same amount of warm air when heated to the same temperature in the same size space. The heat comes from compression. (did I just discover a new law of physics?!?)

More pressure exerted with the same volume of air = more result w/ less work

Last edited by EvansBlue; March 15th, 2009 at 1:23 AM.
Old March 15th, 2009, 6:32 PM
CF Junior Member

I love wikipedia, but remember it is user based, meaing anyone can post info, correct or not....

"Says that drawing more air makes the vehicle compensate by opening the throttle wider, thus bringing in more air volume. More air volume means more burnable oxygen and uses less fuel for combustion"

That last part is incorrect. More air with less fuel would make your engine run too lean. If you engine is getting more air, your ECM will also pour in more fuel, giving your more power, but less MPG