Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

How to fix RFA Battery low 1 and 2

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix RFA Battery low 1 and 2

Recently ran into a RFA Battery low code on my 2003 Chevy Silverado. RFA Stands for Remote Function Actuator. i noticed the code pops up after the FOB is used, or i try to shut the alarm off. i have alot of experience in electronics and researching how they work so after investigation heres how it works and how you can fix it along with a few symptoms.

-Unlock button works intermittently
-Fob doesnt work at all or works when sitting for a while
-Cluster doesnt show driver number

How it works:

Chevrolet uses a simplex transponder system for the FOBS. (Meaning they can only talk one way) Each time a FOB is used, the truck takes note of the Battery level, FOB ID, and the command to the truck. all is controlled in the BCM of the truck. When the battery runs low, a packet is sent to the BCM Indicating a voltage under the 3 Volt threshold of the Lithium button cell, triggering the "RFA Battery Low", along with the Keyfob Number. However, the number is not always accurate, so its best to replace the batteries in all FOBS. if you have a severe case of OCD like me, to where my truck has to act the way it did when it came off the lot, or i freak out, here's how to fix it.

Temporary Solutions: Press the Lock and Unlock buttons at the same time for 30 seconds while your driving. then, take the battery out of the FOB and continue driving. put the battery back in the cycle your ignition. code will go away.

Unhook the battery in your truck, take the battery out of your fob, leave for 2 minutes and reconnect the key fob battery, then the trucks battery. then code should disappear.

NOTE: If the RFA code comes up, along with a CEL, take it to a dealer, could indicate a issue with your Locks!!

Permanant fix:

hack up 3 dollars for a new lithium button cell. Energizer works good and they are reliable.

Unhook the battery in your truck. replace the battery in your fob. wait 3 minutes, reconnect your battery, and test the FOB. and if the fob does not work, rebind the fob to the truck. (instructions in the end of this post)

if the code does not go away:
Unhook the battery for 4 minutes, then reconnect
OR
Rebind your FOB
OR
Replace batteries in all FOBS
OR
press the mileage reset button on the cluster when the code comes up

OR if you have steering controls,
press the ok button on the steering wheel when the code comes up.

hers instructions on how to rebind! It has pictures!!

How to Program a Keyless Entry for a Chevy Silverado: 9 Steps

for 2003, the technology in these trucks is pretty impressive. i love my Chevy!!

Good Luck!!

89scottsdale