Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

How Hard?

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2009, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hard?

Just a general question.

How hard is it to rebuild a 4L60E Transmission?

I have a general working knowledge of mechanics but have never tackled a transmission rebuild.......other than the rebuild kit price what do I have to lose?

And besides a rebuild kit what else would you order?
Old December 8th, 2009, 6:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have rebuilt a TH400. It was for a buddy, and it was for strictly off-road use. I had two different rebuild books, and a training video. I watched the video a few times and had it playing in the shop while doing the rebuild. It wasn't easy. And the transmission doesn't shift right, but it was for a K5 that never sees the street.

My advice is, if its for a daily driver, have a shop do it.
Old December 8th, 2009, 9:42 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It take a specially trained individual and is a TALENT. If you have never done it I would not recommend you try it unless you have money to burn. It will probably cost you more for the rebuild after you try. Most Technicians can not do a auto trans. Years ago I helped a buddy switch the insides of a good trans to a new case and it never shifted right after.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
CF Senior Member

im in trans class. and when it comes to me. if i have any slight feeling besides i can do it. any slight mis-align in complete confidence. i wont do it. when it comes to transmissions. in a semester of classes. i feel i could do it. the first trans we did was a th400. ours shifted perfectly. after we replaced the vacuum modulator. and it was funny because first we get it on a trans dyne and converter wont spline in. darn it. took it off the dyne. took pump out. took pump apart turned the gears back around to spline correctly to the stator. got it all back together in 20 minutes. and it shifted like a champ. now. maybe the trans you guys worked on, maybe linkage was not adjusted correctly. or manual valve in valve body not correctly positioned. but. if you have the tools. parts. time. cleanliness. and patience. oh and rebuild books. then you should do fine. remember. wash all parts well. never use a cotton terry cloth or any cloth to dry parts. fluzzies get in the parts. you got a big issue coming on start up. when using new friction plates. soak them in atf before using. if used dry. you can burn the friction plate at startup. time and patience with cleanliness and proper tools makes a difference.
Old December 9th, 2009, 5:18 PM
CF Veteran

The TH400 I did I was 17, with extreme lack of expierience. I'm sure I didn't do something right and thats why it shifts a lil weird, but it still works. Just have to be below 2k rpms or it feels like the trans is gonna grenade when it shifts if its in Drive. Its in a k5 running 35 inch swampers with a bone stock 305.