Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

How would I know if I really needed...

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2008, 7:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How would I know if I really needed...

Last month, I took my truck in to be serviced by a Chevy Truck dealer and while it was there, had them diagnose, at the time, a one time starting problem where the starter didn't turn over but had power to everything.

The Chevy service guy said that I needed to have the following serviced:

Intake Manifold (gasket?)
Oil Cooler Lines
Master Cylinder
Distributor

What had happened after purchasing a '92 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab, I drove about 18 miles on the highway from the lot to a self car wash (it needed it) and after washing it, it wouldn't start. The starter wouldn't crank, but had power to everything. My friend and I ended up pushing it out of the wash bay (2 guys pushing a 1/2 ton truck...lol) and had it sit outside with the hood ajar. I had called for a tow but before the tow arrived, I decided to try starting again. Low and behold, the truck started right up as if nothing happened.

The Chevy mechanic told me those items needed to be replaced which would've caused this problem (I decided not to have them do it at the time cause I would've ended up paying over 1k for the repairs).

I just cleaned the engine this past weekend and hope to do a better job this weekend instead of using simple green (although it did a fairly good job but still a lot of heavy stuff still left that an engine cleaner would remove).

Old April 10th, 2008, 7:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How would I know if I really needed...

Iknow some guys like to keep the engine bay asclean as the outside of the truck. In the old days you could do that with a little effort, not that many electronic parts.

Today you have a any number of electronic parts under the hood that can be effected by water orcleaners.

I would be very careful using any type cleaner or water pressure of any kind in the motor bay.

Hope you find the source of the no start. I would look for loose or corroded connections to the starter system.

Good Luck, let us know what you find, may help someone else on forum.

Old April 10th, 2008, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

What size engine is it? The early to mid '90's 350's are known for having intake manifold gasket leaks.
Old April 10th, 2008, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator

I just read your post on the temp gauge thread, and it is possible that when you over heat and stop the truck your feul line maybe vaporlocking. Just a thought.
Old April 11th, 2008, 1:34 AM
CF Junior Member

It's a 5.7L V8 350.
Old April 11th, 2008, 1:36 AM
CF Junior Member

I try to keep the engine and bay clean. If you keep the engine clean, it'll help keep it cooler and I make sure that I don't get the Alternator wet. Also it's easier to see if there is anything that is leaking if the engine and bay clean, not to mention not as messy to work on if needed.

ORIGINAL: wellmax

Iknow some guys like to keep the engine bay asclean as the outside of the truck. In the old days you could do that with a little effort, not that many electronic parts.

Today you have a any number of electronic parts under the hood that can be effected by water orcleaners.

I would be very careful using any type cleaner or water pressure of any kind in the motor bay.

Hope you find the source of the no start. I would look for loose or corroded connections to the starter system.

Good Luck, let us know what you find, may help someone else on forum.