Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I am new and looking for a tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2010, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am new and looking for a tonneau cover

I just bought a 2008 Silverado 1500 crew cab and I have already bought nerf bars ($150) and I am looking for a cover now. I am the first one to admit I am CHEAP ....well thrifty and the cheapest cover I have found is on ebay for $250. does anyone know where else I can go to save more $

I will also be looking for new performance intake and possibly a programmer if anyone has any other ideas

remember I am cheap

thanks for the help
Old February 24th, 2010, 6:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to try craigslist in your area.. you can get stuff on there cheap BUT remember to check if it has everything and nothing is broke!
Old February 25th, 2010, 5:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi mikeross509,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums. We all want to save money, especially now. To put it in perspective for you, a new aerodynamic fiberglass cap would be from 800$ to 1500$. If that cover's in good shape, go for it.

Blackbear or Nelson Tune will save you money over a programmer, if you want to save money. Most folks, myself included, found very little extra performance from a programmer for gas engines.

Is the intake for power or gas economy? Because while you'll get an appreciable boost in rev. speed, the gas economy, at best, will be minimal.
Old February 25th, 2010, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

I was thinking the intake and the programmer would help with fuel savings

is there something else I should be looking for?
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The cover (cap) on the bed gave me the most (3MPG) back.

Of course, tire inflation, shocks, tune ups,and driving carefully are all going to add up. Keeping the body waxed helps.

The other thing I did, because I do a lot of highway driving, was reduce from 410s to 342 gears. This cut my highway revs by @1200 RPM, and doubled my gas mileage around town.Between the cost, (@2000$/shop or @750$DIY) and your present gear ratio, this may not be an answer for you.

Last edited by therewolf; February 25th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
CF Junior Member

sometimes cheap is not the way to go when you talk tonneau covers. I though the same with my first truck, I bought a roll-up and snap on cover. I paid 150.00 back in 2002, don't get me wrong it worked great in warm weather, but once it got cold, forget it. if you have to take it off in the winter you will never get it back on and snapped. With my new (09) silverado i spent 575.00 on a Undercover hard shell tonneau cover, easy to install, looks great, keeps bed water tight, comes with locks.The only draw back besides price is if you have to haul anything tall you have to take it off, which is a easy and store it somewhere. So much better then a roll-up.