Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I crashed my truck

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2009, 6:20 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I crashed my truck

Does anyone know what exactly deems a vehicle totaled?

I bent the sh*t out of one of the lower pivot points on my truck yesterday by loosing control and hitting a tree!

It's bad. The left wheel is pushed back a good two-hree inches farther than the right. That among other stuff such as the steering rack is probably broken and some other parts I can't visually see are bent.

Would this be enough to deem the whole vehicle totaled? I only hit the mother f*cker at maybe 15 mph or so.

I'm pretty upset about this whole thing and they won't get a claims adjuster to come look at it and pick it up until tuesday. Which is why I'm asking.

I don't want all the time and money I've put into this truck to be a complete loss.

I'm bummed.

Deez
Old September 6th, 2009, 6:37 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, I feel ya man. Anything can be repaired, its just how much you put in it. I would not have some paper pusher tell me whats wrong with it and give me a blue book check, try to get a shops opinion. Do you have any pics of it?
Old September 6th, 2009, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Usually it will be wrote off if it will cost more money to fix than what it's worth. Sorry to hear about your misfortune
Old September 6th, 2009, 7:10 PM
CF Senior Member

sorry to hear that deez,if they do total it make sure you buy her back and bring her back to life....
Old September 6th, 2009, 7:37 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

That sucks, I hope they don't total it or you will need to buy it back to at least get all the add ons back.
Old September 6th, 2009, 7:40 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on the insurance company but if the repairs are 55%-75% of the trucks value it will be totaled.
Old September 6th, 2009, 7:44 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

How would I buy it back?

I'm going to take pictures of it tomorrow and take it to a few places to see what they say. I'll post them here as well to let you guys see.

The most frustrating thing is, I hit the truck basically head on, the front left side. If you just look at the truck you can't really tell it was in an accident. It's really weird. You can't see the point of impact or anything, yet somehow I hit it hard enough to bend the lower right pivot point on the front driver side horribly.

You'll see when I take the pictures. It's really mind boggling trying to think about how the damage happened. This is really f*cked up.

Deez
Old September 6th, 2009, 7:50 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

If the insurance company totals it they sell it for scrap, that's when you can ask how much they want for it, then you need to decide if it;s worth it to you and if you have the cash.
I feel for you dude.
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
CF Active Member

man that sucks. but yeah get some pics up then we can help ya out.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't ignore the upside to this fiasco. Now you're free to cut loose a little, and you're not restricted by the fact that the the truck's not hit, or it's in perfect condition,or the purchase or market value of the truck. Nothings stopping you from lifting or modding it anyway you want, as long as you keep it street legal.

Technically speaking,damage estimated at 51% or more of total vehicle worth(sale value) is strictly considered a total. That's not a hard # to reach when you start to consider overall crash damage to different vehicular systems,and flagging vehicle values VS inflating repair costs.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm sorry you got wrecked. That sucks, and it could happen anytime to me or anybody. That's why they call them accidents.

But, life's giving you lemons. Make lemonade.

You may want to be very careful before disposing of your vehicle merely on the word of an Adjuster. A great deal of the estimate's
cost on crash damage is labor. As you yourself said, if there's a lot of your labor poured into the vehicle, the purchase value at red or blue book may be a great underestimation of your vehicle's value to you.

Show us pictures, Deez, and don't lose heart yet.

Last edited by therewolf; September 7th, 2009 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: I crashed my truck