Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Improving ride comfort in 1500 silvie

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2009, 8:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Improving ride comfort in 1500 silvie

OK, I have 2000 LT model. we just crossed 100 000 miles on the ticker.
it is my daily commuter.
roads here are getting worse with every day. unfortunately, I have to drive a lot for business. every time I am going places, it is torturous experience, as truck bounces and shakes all over. and I am getting too old for this kind of fun.
now, let's eliminate the obvious: I have about 8 mths on shocks. I have a set of expensive KYBs front and not cheap Bilsteins rear. so, shocks are out of question.
part of the problem with crappy ride comfort is, probably, tires. it happened so that I have 10 ply sidewall Toyos on one axle, and I do not believe they are the most cozy tires for a ride.
same time, my general life experience with replaced shocks is poor - it never restores original ride quality.
so, what else can I do to get my back more comfortable?
my chain of thoughts runs towards replacing all bushings in the front - in control arms and sway bars. truck does not sway at all, though, is very sturdy in turns.
pulling control arms will require torsion bars removal, though.
it's no springs in the front, only torsion bars.
so, any practical suggestions for improved confort? frugality is also appreciated, he-he.

hey, on irrelevant note: I just tried a 375 foot pound of torque Husky air wrench on my wheels, and lug nuts won't even budge. And I can easily do them with my hands and lug nut wrench that came with the truck. How many foot pounds does it take for a wrench to do it? I have to rotate tires on 2 cars over weekend, hoped to make my life easier....

Last edited by ukrkoz; March 31st, 2009 at 9:19 PM.
Old April 1st, 2009, 2:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've just ordered some new Front Stabilizer links and bushings from Raybestos and Moog.(Energy-red was just the wrong color for my truck; a lot of the 2500HD underside is visible.)I'll let you know how well they worked out in a week or two. IMO inspect and replace
upper and lower control arm bushings as a complete set, BUT ONLY if needed.

I've had the reverse luck with shock-absorbers, every time I change them it seems to be a quantum upgrade. Stock shocks are such drek. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

As for tire lugs and large fasteners, I use the "persuader"; my 3/4 lifetime ratchet with deep sockets. My lugs get two choices, 1-play nice, 2-get sheared off and replaced.(Strangely enough, it's usually #1.) Not cheap, but I've had mine since 1981, so considering the use it's seen, well worth it. But I can't provide torque specs, I can only personally witness that my problems with stubborn lug nuts ended long ago. I prefer to do all my own tire rotations, because every time some a$$hole uses an air-gun to install my lug nuts, they can't resist over-torque-ing.
Old April 1st, 2009, 3:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a car...Trucks are supposed to be rough ridin'. A man's hands are supposed to be rough too, so get out there and start plantin' some crops and tear them hands up!!
Old April 1st, 2009, 7:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree w/ 98 white LOL!! Pull your tampon out and do some offroading and then tell me how rought it rides