Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Ingnition switch/chevy stalling/loss of power

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2014, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ingnition switch/chevy stalling/loss of power

I just wanted to post this because I had a lot of questions, and frustrations when I had this issue, and I didn't find many correct solutions for the issue. I have a '96 chevy K1500 5.0
The issue I had been having was my truck would stall. Initially, it'd just be during idle, like at a stop light. The truck would act in two different ways. One- it would possibly act as if I had turned the ignition switch off and to accessory mode or Two- it would act as if I had completely turned the ignition to the off position. The truck would easily crank over and restart when put into park or neutral. I was initally told is was my ABS control module (as I was also having some ABS issues). It would happen so intermittently, they mechanics were just throwing ideas out as it would never happen when they drove it. The check engine light never came on.
I was told it could be many things including a vacuum leak, the distributor coil and on an on.
Eventually, it started to do it during acceleration as well. The vehicle would just shut off as if I had turned off the ignition. It initially didn't appear to be triggered by anything. It was scary to drive in construction zones and roads that didn't have shoulders. As time passed, it seemed the stalling began to be triggered by electrical changes (turning on the blinker, stepping on the brake, turning the radio on or off). I began doing more research and discovered it could very well be the ignition switch. I purchased one at the local auto parts store and set out to find a shop to replace it. For whatever reason, many mechanics were hesitant to install it and wanted to replace or check other parts first.
During my research, I found many complaints that were very similar to mine. None suggested the ignition switch. Many of these folks had gone through the gamete of everything that had been suggested to me. No one ever updated if they ever actually got it fixed. The ignition switch fixed mine like a charm. If you've already tried the TBI, TPS, distributor coil, plugs and wires, vacuum leaks and the sort, don't over look the ignition switch!

Over a year later, running great until recently. Now I just have to figure out why I have such a loss in power. Can't get the vehicle above 70mph and the accelerator is floored. Acceleration appears to be decent from a stop, but not 100% of what it should be. Really notice is while merging off of on and off ramps. Accelleration while already at speed is pathetic and sometimes dangerous.
Old November 17th, 2014, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean throttle body.

Ya my truck is stalling to. Cleaned throttle body and new sensors and it helped till tonight. My key is very warn and will try spare. But clean your thottle body. I will be doing that again tomorow, cant wait to see how dirty it got in a couple of months.