Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Is it the intake or the headgaskets or planetary misalignment?

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the intake or the headgaskets or planetary misalignment?

I have a 1996 1/2 ton king cab silverado, Z71 with a Vortec 305/automatic. I'm driving it to work one morning when a steady stream of white smoke comes billowing out of the exhaust, as I check the gauges, the temp gauge is going up and down. I pull over and shut the engine off and pop the hood. When I check the dipstick, I find water in the oil. I hadn't noticed an overheating problem before so I'm not sure what caused the problem. I ordered a kit for sealing, Heads/block/etc that requires me to flush the cooling system, fill it with clean water and start the motor. The motor starts on the first try even with the old plugs still in it but on the next attempt, the cylinders are waterbound and the motor won't crank. I remove all 4 plugs on the driver's side, crank the motor overand water comes out of each cylinder. They appear to be filling up without any pressure in the cooling system whatsoever. Has anybody faced a similar problem or have any ideas where the problem might be before I tear it down?
Old July 12th, 2007, 8:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is it the intake or the headgaskets or planetary misalignment?

Pull the head on the driver's side and you will probably find your problem. If you let it sit and rust, you will have more problems to deal with.
Old July 14th, 2007, 3:11 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I was hoping for a little more insight.

I don't believe a head gasket will fail on every cylinder at the same time for no apparent reason. You'd have to overheat the motor pretty severely for that to happen and I shut it off as soon as the white smoke blew out. I'm wondering about the plastic intake and whether the water is coming from there. That would allow the water to be pulled into each cylinder through the intake valves but, I'm just assuming. I'm hoping someone's had a similar situation.

I only mentioned the cylinders on the driver's side because that's the only plugs I pulled. I stopped there out of disgust. I'm sure the passenger side is the same. The motor still sounded like it was trying to compress water even with the driver side plugs out.
Old July 19th, 2007, 3:20 AM
CF Beginner

Ive seen numerous lower intake gasket problems on 96-2000 vortecs...not as severe as your but i just thought id give you some info...the intake gaskets will get virtually eaten by a highly acidic coolant causing the coolant to enter the cylinders...had it happen to me on my own truck...gm now makes a supposedly stronger gasket that has a metal trim around the coolant galleys and ends to help.im not saying this is your problem but if you know what your doin the gaskets are like 40 dollars and they are probly shot anyways so it couldnt hurt.if you end up doin thisi used a gasket maker thatGM makes and placed a fair amount on the front and back of the intake and a little on the gasket itself just to keeep itin place while you put the intake backin...loosen upyour drivers side valve cover tomake removing and replacing the intake a little easier..test your coolant for high acid levels if you can..if you can run the motor try spraying the around the intake gently with a hose and if white smoke comes out the exhaust thats a dead give away...just a few thoughts for ya man.