Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Intermittently not starting

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2006, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittently not starting

Sorry if this has been covered, I searched but couldn’t find anything close.

I have a ’05 4.3l. Occasionally I’ll turn the key and get nothing no click no crank, nothing. Kind of like it’s in Drive and I’m trying to start it, but its not. When this happens I usually slide the shifter through all the gears and adjust the tilt steering (I’m assuming that the problem is associated with the switching mechanism that tells the ignition that it’s in park or neutral). I’m not sure if this is doing anything or not, but after a few attempts it finally turns over as it should. I brought the truck to the dealer but couldn’t replicate. Has anyone experienced something similar?
Thanks
Old September 4th, 2006, 9:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Intermittently not starting

the two things i would try would be to see if the battery is conected properly and also when it wont start try putting the truck in nutrel and see if it starts. this would be a start at least. also what kind of battery is in it? if its an acdelco iv heard a few bad things about them going bad insde the case so it may look good on the outside and be broke inside so if thats the case you may want to change the battery as well. hope all this helps a bit.
Old September 5th, 2006, 1:35 AM
CF Beginner

It could possibly be a bad starter relay. next time it does it, turn your headlights on, and have someone watch them while you try to start. if they dim, it's likely in the starter. If not, probably in the relay circuit. there still could be many different things. these are just possibilities.
Old September 5th, 2006, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem on a 1995 Chevy pickup. Plenty of power for the horn, lights, etc... But nothing when I turned the key to the start position. It turned out to be the connection at the battery. Clean the battery cable end and make sure you have a solid connection.