Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

just bought a 2005 2500HD

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2011, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a 2005 2500HD

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2005 2500HD. It is the crew cab short box version with the 6.0 liter. Loving it so far. I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable Chevrolet people out there.

1. This truck doesn't have skid plates. Was that an option that wasn't installed and can I get a skid plate package from my local dealer?

2. I would like to level the stance, it has the typical front end sag. Anyone install new tortion bar keys to lift the front end? Was it easy and how is the ride? Did you have to get it aligned? Does anyone have any suggestions of where to buy and what brand to accomplish this?

3. What color should the head liner be if the interior is dark gray? I never noticed until today, my head liner is light tan. Is this factory correct? The CarFax came back clean so I shouldn't suspect it was ever repaired right?

4. From what I understand, these 6.0 liters are supposed to be really detuned from the factory but have a lot of potential. What modifications are you guys doing to gain horse power? What is the best bang for the buck?

Many thanks,
Nick
Old December 8th, 2011, 2:39 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Skid plates are usually found on the Z71 offroad packages. They can be found on most gm parts sites or ebay. I have looked for them myself with luck.

3. my truck is and 05. exactly the same. dark grey plastics and tan headliner.
Old December 8th, 2011, 2:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Yes you can get skid plates put on as far as I know..generally they come on the z71 models.

2) Crank up your stock keys, they can give you around 2" of lift up front and the ride will get more stiff than factory. Install some Bilstein 5100s for the 2" lift and it'll ride better but not the greatest. Yes you'll have to get it aligned after you crank it up.

3) It depends on the packages that come in the truck. Sometimes things are mixed up, my brothers tahoe has a light grey interior on the bottom but then the headliner is light tan

4) Best bang for the buck, Blackbearperformance.com or gowheatley.com. Put an exhaust, airaid MIT tube and a dry drop in filter and it's a whole different truck