Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

K&N Filter vs. A CAI

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2008, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Filter vs. A CAI

before people start being smart about it I Know the difference lol. But getting my exhaust put on tomarrow and now want a little under the hood upgrade to get me by until I save my money back up again I have bills just like any other poor man in the country lol. What I am wondering is what would be a big difference from just using the K&N filter than using a CAI. Will I tell that much of a differnce on the 5.3L. Should I just save my money not get the filter and wait till I have enough for the CAI?. I put a K&N CAI on my g/f's 07 Eclipse GT 6speed with Mcphearson racing package and I must admit it really brought the thing to life. And from factory it already came with 270hp. So should I just get the filter for now then when I get enough money then get the CAI or don't even worry about it?
Old February 11th, 2008, 6:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: K&N Filter vs. A CAI

I would wait and get the CAI. If you spend the $40 now and buy the K&N filter it will be no good when you buy the CAI, its not the same filter size. I work hard for my money too, so im all about saving it where I can. I wouldnt waste your money. Check out S&B intakes before you buy one, they make a great product for less money than K&N, and in my opinion I think its better. If you look back a page or two, theres a discussion in here on S&B intakes.
Old February 11th, 2008, 6:45 PM
Super Moderator

If you do plan on putting a CAI on then I would wait till you have the money. No sense in spending money on a filter to just trun around and replace it with a CAI. Before you buy a filter or a CAI you should check out this link: http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/. It provides real results, not only about the amount of air flow, but the amount of crap that can get through the filter.
Old February 11th, 2008, 6:47 PM
Super Moderator

fireman526, you beat me to it
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

just to let you know the cai does give you power at high rpms but takes away alot of your low end torque
Old February 12th, 2008, 9:44 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: reeves_mck

just to let you know the cai does give you power at high rpms but takes away alot of your low end torque
You sure about that. Real world test results say just the opposite.
Old February 14th, 2008, 9:10 PM
CF Junior Member

I just had a K&N CAI installed today and have noticed gains at low end torque and overall better performance!!!