Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:27 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Key in the ignition alarm and driver seat belt alarm

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2012, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key in the ignition alarm and driver seat belt alarm

Does anyone know what controls the driver seat belt alarm and the key in the ignition alarm? I have a 2006 Silverado Ext Cab and just recently the alarm you'd hear when the door is open and the key in the ignition stopped working. The driver side seat belt alarm also stopped working. I looked at the fuse box but nothing looks blown. I looked under the seat to see if the plug came undone but that looked ok as well. What else?
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:17 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The volume level for vehicle chimes is controlled through the radio (p. 3-130 in the owner's manual of the 2006 Silverado), however I don't have any access to technical information. If you were to decide upon visiting your dealership for this, which I understand isn't always an option, please let us know as we'd like to be available to you if you need us!
Sarah (in for Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old February 22nd, 2012, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Sarah ... thanks for the information. While that helped with the key in the ignition chime, it doesn't appear to have addressed the seat belt warning. As the driver, if I were to unbuckle my seat belt shouldn't I get both an audible and visual alarm? I usually put my belt on before I even start the truck so I honestly can't remember the last time I ever got the seat belt alram but I thought it was both a blinking light on the dash as well as a chime
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Official GM Rep

You're correct - there is supposed to be a seat belt reminder chime in addition to the visual in the DIC. It should go off once the key is turned to RUN or START, and is repeated if the driver remains unbuckled and the vehicle is in motion.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old February 23rd, 2012, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Sarah,

I see the flashing icon on my dashboard when I turn the key to RUN, however, if I drive off without ever fastening my seat belt I do not receive the visual dashboard alarm or the audible one. Where is this alarm controlled? Is there a fuse that could be blown? As I mentioned earlier I looked under my driver's seat to visually inspect the wiring and all looks good as far as it is connected.

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Kern
Old February 23rd, 2012, 2:14 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> knarva,

A blown fuse is a possibility. A listing of the fuses is available in the owner's manual on pages 5-124 through 5-131. For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...-Silverado.pdf

The chime runs through the front speakers of the stereo. Are the front speakers working? Try adjusting the balance for the front speakers to see if this makes a difference.

The Safety Belt Reminder Light and chime will be provided for several seconds, then the light will stay on for several seconds, then flash for several more. The chime and light will be repeated occasionally if the driver remains unbuckled and the vehicle is in motion.

If neither of these options resolves the problem, I encourage you to take the vehicle in for a quick inspection. A certified technician will be able to offer additional information after a physical inspection.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM
CF Active Member

Replace the fuse even if it looks ok just try a different one also check for a relay/fuse box under the hood alot of times folks forget to look there and it is often times what is wrong.
Old April 13th, 2013, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default CRay2986

I have a 2006 chevy silverado truck the warning buzzer stopped working and the cooling are not working to the won't turn off with key what could it be?