Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Keyless Entry Remote

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2015, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry Remote

My truck came with two keys, but only one remote. I just thought it was a good idea to have a spare, so I ordered one online from Keyless Entry Remotes, Inc.

The salesperson who answered the phone was super helpful, the price was super low, and the new remote came super fast. Can't beat that can you?

Actually, you can. Programming the new remote was super super easy. I used a paper clip to jump pins 4 and 8 on the OBD II connector under the dash. As soon as you do this, the door locks operate. This indicates that the system is in programming mode for the remotes.

I took the old remote, and held down the lock and unlock buttons till the door locks operated on the truck. THen I did the same thing with the new remote, holding both buttons down until the locks operated. This takes a while, maybe 15 to 20 seconds. And that's it. All done! Both remotes work perfectly.

Just thought I'd pass this along for those who may have thought of getting a remote.

Last edited by Cowboycoupe; December 3rd, 2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 6:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

interesting....never heard of that...i'm guessing the generation of your truck is from 99-06?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 8:02 PM
CF Junior Member

My truck is a 1998 C-1500 with the Silverado trim package. I wonder whether the equipment to enable keyless entry is built into all the GMs with the power door lock feature.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator

your bodystye...the remote function are through the remote control door lock receiver. this module sends a message to the bcm which controls door lock functions.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Interesting. I notice that the remotes I have, one of which is the original, do not work from a long way away, like the ones I have for my Mustang, or the one I had with my BMW, now sold. The Silverado remotes seem to work from about 10 feet away at the best.

Wonder where the receiver module is located on the truck.
Old December 5th, 2015, 7:24 PM
Super Moderator

my wife's ford 06 Taurus has 200' range, my 04 gm car has the 20' range but my 2000 sierria is 100'+. my sierra rcdlr is located just behind the instrument cluster and radio. 07 to 13 put it along the driver b-pillar. the 07-13 2 way remote start upgrade adds an rcdlr antenna extention relocation that greatly exends the range.

my sierra wasn't factory built with remote functions. I bought a used module out of the wrecking yard, plugged it in and reprogrammed the bcm. programmed one of the 04 cars fobs to the truck.
now I have remote functions and content theft deterrent.

Last edited by tech2; December 5th, 2015 at 7:31 PM.
Old December 5th, 2015, 9:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Interesting. Wonder if anyone has positive knowledge of where the receiver/antenna is for the 96-98 pickups. Also interesting that you can use the module from one year on a truck from another year.