Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Knocking in Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2006, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knocking in Steering Column

Alright, here is the scoop on the intermediate steering shafts on the Silverado.

They have a problem, but it is only an annoyance and not a safety issue. Yes, it sounds like a shock is loose.

GM was replacing shafts w/ the same part # and them they came out w/ a revised part for the trucks... guess what the revised part did the same thing.

Unfortunately, to have the dealer install the lube kit it will cost approx $100.00 and it may last a couple of months to a couple of years.

Olpro has the idea.

The GM lube kit includes a syringe of grease and a stopper type plug. You remove the little U-spacer from the center, squirt in the grease, install the cork and then compress the shaft until grease is seen coming out of the splines. remove the plug and reinstall the u-spacer and reinstall in the truck.

I could do it in about 30 mins.
Old December 18th, 2006, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: GMJunkie
If you drive a honda, toyota, nissan, kia, or any other rice burner look in the mirror because your the problem with this country today.
I know this is digging up a very old post, but I had to comment.
Theoretically I suppose you are right...buying a car from a foreign firm seems like you're hurting the domestic industry. Unfortunately you're wrong. The majority of Toyota's, Honda's, etc. (>75%) are made right here in the USA stamped from US Steel, using US made parts, providing thousands of skilled manufacturing jobs to US workers. The nature of the modern car manufacturing process (JIT) also helps to support the domestic economy, as all parts are generally required to be within a 1 day shippable radius of the plant, providing even more US based jobs at the manufacturer's upstream and downstream suppliers. All of these "evil" foreign companies manufacture the majority of their cars and car parts right here in the states.

What's hurting the US Economy more than buying a Toyota is eating shrimp @ Red Lobster (90% foreign market), buying your kid a new action figure (China), or getting a new pair of Nikes (China & Malaysia). Where do you think 99% of the parts in the computer you're typing on were manufactured? I can promise you it wasn't here in the US.

You can make the argument that the profits go back to the foreign company, which would be partially correct, but thats how the global economy works. It provides a huge boost in the domestic economy, thousands of jobs, and supports many an American. A HUGE number of US based companies send all their manufacturing, support, programming jobs overseas to increase their profit margins. I bet that doesn't keep you from wearing your Levi's and buying a new Dell. Its called free markets and capitalism.

Oh yeah, I've owned 3 Chevy trucks.
Old December 29th, 2006, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

well said! I do my best to support "American Companies" but how about some support back our way! You have a problem, so lets FIX it. I bet the salesman forget to tell newcustomers about this trouble.
Old March 5th, 2007, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

JDHAWK.. GM puts so much more money into our economy than you can imagine.

Toyota had a commercial recently saying how they have 10 plants in the USA putting their cars together. What they don't tell you is the only reason they do this is because if they import a whole car there is a crazy high import tax on it. Importing the parts is much cheaper.

I like GM's response to that .. look at this billboardhttp://jalopnik.com/cars/ads%252fpro...ize-190778.php. It says "We have 10 plants too. In OHIO. 54 GM PLANTS IN THE US". GM has been great to me. Everyone lasts over 200,000 miles and if I ever have any issue they will do anything to help me. They go out of their way to please me.

And look at this.. http://www.americascarshow.com/tc/We...Quality_Waning
Nice to see the facts now a days . Toyota is going down! Another funny fact.. I know a guy thats Mr. I love toyota. His tranny went the other day on his new one hahaha. And then he got a recall notice because some other vehicles were having the air bags deploy for no reason at all haha.

Now.. I am not calling certain vehicles junk. But, I am saying that we here in the USA are making some very nice vehicles with great quality.. Support them.. we live here. More US jobs are connected to the big 3 us auto makers than you know. The makers, the suppliers, the machine shops, etc.

Ok.. now for the real reason I just joined this forum real quick.. GM has come up with a perm. fix for this issue 1 month ago.

Subject: Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) #00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003L (Section 02 -- Steering).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips
Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

• Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).

• Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction
DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.
Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.

Important:

• I-shaft P/N 19155614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.

• Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.[/align][/align]
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
dvn
CF Beginner

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting this update done beyond the warranty period? I have a 2004 Silverado with 25k on it which has started the dreaded clunking noise. Any suggestions?
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

^ I have the same truck. 2004 Silverado. I had it fixed 2 times under 35,000 mile warranty.

I now have 40,000 miles on it and it has started again, but finally I see they have a perm. fix. I called my dealer and told them I wanted the perm fix installed. I have the GMPP extended warranty. They said that this part is NOT covered under that warranty. So, I called GM. GM is now working with the dealer to get it covered since I had issues with it before the original warranty expired. I have a jerk dealer.

GM has always been there for me when I needed them and have stood behind their product. This is the first time I have had an issue like this.

Its pretty crapy yes.. but all the right they have done me far out weighs this one wrong.

Hopefully today they call back and tell me I have an appointment.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 03 HD 4X4 6.0 with 56k and I had the same problem. I took it to dealer and they said that Chevy is on the third revision of this partand it may become arecall. I raised some hell and they changed it for Free. MyEasy Carewarranty would not coverthis because they know that chevy has this problem. The part # for my truck is 19153614 or (06524-ct)
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Got my 05' Z71fixed yesterday.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Just returned from my dealer today, and they have replaced the intermediate steering shaft with the one with the part number mentioned by arcticcatmatt.My '02 Silverado at 56K is out of warranty, but kudos to the dealer and GM for taking care of this customer, treating this as a warranty repair.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like you found a keeper. Dealer that is.

Quick Reply: Knocking in Steering Column