Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Knocking in Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2007, 6:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knocking in Steering Column

I have a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo with the same knocking/vibration issue in the steering column. I have only had the car 4 1/2 years and have had to have the grease kit done twice. It lasts about 1.5 years for me as I put a lot of miles on my car. It costs me $150.00 every time I have to have it done and I think that the GM dealership should do this for free as it is a commonly known problem in the design of the vehicle. It is doing it again now and I have to take my car in for the grease kit once again. I am very disgusted with Chevy for not owning up to this and making the customer pay for their mistake.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

I took my 2002 Monte Carlo to the dealership this weekend to get the grease kit done for the clunking and knocking in the steering column (once again) and they decided to replace the steering shaft with a new one that supposedly does not have the flaw that causes the cover to slip off and loose the grease. This cost me $300.00 to have done. I have 150.00 in two grease jobs and now 300.00 for a new steering shaft (that is 600.00 total) for a problem that GM is well aware of and will not do a recall on.
I have written to General motors and expressed my dissapointment with them over this issue.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Had the same problem with my 04 Silverado. Deale lubricated twice, replaced the shaft once and then replaced the shaft and then the rack and pinion. That was at 50K. I now have 93K on the truck and the problem has not returned. All done under warranty and "customer satisfaction". Work on having a good repoir with your service writer, it helps.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Why don't we all go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfmand file a complaint? If everyone here and any of our buddies do enough complaining maybe it will get the recall faster.
Old September 4th, 2007, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

I have a program called alldata , it is stated in there that GM is aware of the problem. Alldata is very useful with recalls and TSB,s . If you need more info contact me I will let you know what info I have.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: xgmtech

They have a problem, but it is only an annoyance and not a safety issue.
Does this mean i can just ignore THIS problem without it damaging anything?

i dont have time to keep up with all the annoyances of my HD.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

I went to a front end shop looking for what is causing this knocing noise in the steering column of my 2006 Impala. It started at about 78k miles. The mechanic checked the suspension and said all is well on that end. he said it is probably coming from the steering unit behind the dash. I called the dealer, they want $100.00 to diagnose the problem plus cost for additional parts and labor.They said there is no recall for this noise problem.
Is the dealer the only place to get this steering column noise in my 2006 Impala fixed.
Old March 24th, 2010, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default knocking in steering column

I purchased a 2005 Silverado in Aug of 2008, with the same problem. After (3) trips to the dealer I was finally able to get the problem fixed completely under warranty, truck only had 28k on it. The dealer installed the following GM Parts to correct problem:

GM part# Description Qty.

19153614 Shaft 1
15899719 Insulator 2

To date no steering knocking problem since repair on Aug 29,2008

Hope this info helps.

Sam Lawrence4
2005 Silverado Z-71
Old March 30th, 2010, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I'm confused as to what part needs to be replaced. I've read several forums about this issue with the clunking noise in the steering shaft. Several forums including this one all suggest to replace the intermediate steering shaft. I have a Haynes book I use for reference and the book shows the ISS located under the hood. I went to O'Reilly's to buy the part. The box was labeled "intermediate steering shaft". When I got home, I opened the box and the instructions referred to it as the upper intermediate steering shaft. I took it out of the box to make a visual comparison and sure enough it was the wrong part. I went back to O'Reilly's to exchange it for the correct part and they told me they didn't stock the lower ISS. I went across the street to Auto Zone and they told me the lower ISS was a dealer part. Is this true? Which ISS do I need to replace, the lower (under hood) or the upper (under dash) or maybe both? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 30th, 2010, 5:05 PM
CF Junior Member

under the hood

Quick Reply: Knocking in Steering Column