Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Lifting Blocks or Whole Lift Kits

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2009, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lifting Blocks or Whole Lift Kits

I have a question about getting a lift on my Chevy. I never had any of my vehicles lifted before and I've been browsing the web for lift kits and what not. Well some are extremely expensive,based on my pay grade, and I was wondering: Is getting 4 inch lifting blocks enough to have the lift I'm looking for or would I need an entire kit to have the smooth ride and awesome look of a lifted truck. I don't really know the difference nor have I ever done this before. I found that the Rough Country 4" Lift kit for about $400+ with spindles, steering extension, and rear 2" lift blocks. That's what I've been considering to buying but if there's a cheaper way can someone give me any ideas or advice? Thanks, I greatly appreciate it.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 9:02 AM
CF Active Member

blocks are standard for lifting the rear. or its an added leaf spring. but for the front its basically what your looking at for that 4" lift. changing out components.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tmcelveen1985
I have a question about getting a lift on my Chevy. I never had any of my vehicles lifted before and I've been browsing the web for lift kits and what not. Well some are extremely expensive,based on my pay grade, and I was wondering: Is getting 4 inch lifting blocks enough to have the lift I'm looking for or would I need an entire kit to have the smooth ride and awesome look of a lifted truck. I don't really know the difference nor have I ever done this before. I found that the Rough Country 4" Lift kit for about $400+ with spindles, steering extension, and rear 2" lift blocks. That's what I've been considering to buying but if there's a cheaper way can someone give me any ideas or advice? Thanks, I greatly appreciate it.
im going to guess that your truck is a half ton? 4 inch litfs are getting a little more reasonable in pricing...rancho makes agreat 4 incher.if it is a half ton you can do the whole torsion bar cranking(stiff stiff) you can also get spring spacers(cheap)for the front.as for the rear most use blocks (cheap)but if your going to be using this truck on trails i would opt for a full spring lift in the rear(imo)rough country is good on there pricing not familiar with tere product though.doing the lift in your driveway yourself will save you money.if doing it yourself make sure you get it aligned as soon as possible..but as for the cheapest way...yeah crank the bars and put blocks under the rear....have any pics?
Old August 26th, 2009, 3:37 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah it's a half ton. Thanks guys I appreciate it
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This could go two ways.

It depends on if you like working on your truck a lot. If yes, a Chevy half-ton has a lot of kits to choose from in the aftermarket.

If you're not interested in working on your own truck,you could learn a lot more in a few days than you never wanted to know installing your own lift.

The other option, if you're not interested in turning that wrench,(and you don't run with the "Yep,Installed her myself!" crowd) is to sell what ya got and buy something already lifted. It's a buyer's market right now, and the cost of lifting a second hand truck is usually not absorbed by the purchaser.

Best of luck either way.
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
This could go two ways.

It depends on if you like working on your truck a lot. If yes, a Chevy half-ton has a lot of kits to choose from in the aftermarket.

If you're not interested in working on your own truck,you could learn a lot more in a few days than you never wanted to know installing your own lift.

The other option, if you're not interested in turning that wrench,(and you don't run with the "Yep,Installed her myself!" crowd) is to sell what ya got and buy something already lifted. It's a buyer's market right now, and the cost of lifting a second hand truck is usually not absorbed by the purchaser.

Best of luck either way.
rivereye i like the option of buying used(good choice)when i drive down the street past the lots and see many many big trucks with many aftermarket parts shinning on em and a great sticker price(sure is funny one minute you got yourself a bad a** ride then next you know it's too expensive....great advise///
Old August 28th, 2009, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

Oh yeah dude, everything I've done to my truck so far was done myself. I'm a hands-on kinda guy. I just never messed with lifts. I do the shock absorbers, tune-ups, oil changes myself. I mean I've had this truck for about 5 years now. it's a 5.0 V8 C1500 Ext. Cab. So yeah, not looking to buy another truck...yet.
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Rough Country's a mixed bag. Some people like 'em, some don't.

Take the money you save doing your own labor and put it into a good Rancho kit. A buddy of mine did his Dodge half-ton 4X4 with Rancho. Now it's a bad-a$$ truck.