Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Locking differential

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Colter.Pesek,
Keep us updated. Let us know what the dealership says this weekend.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 10th, 2011, 6:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 1500 now has around 80,000 miles and seems to be a lot better than when I started this thread. I haven't noticed the problem in several months now. The dealership put in an additive and that has seemed to help.
Old September 12th, 2011, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the update, having trouble getting any dealership to take the time to even look at this at the moment, I think I am just going to trade the truck in, too many gremlins. If I do not I will update this thread as soon as I know something. I know this may sound like blasphemy but I may buy a mustang gt tonight.
Old September 13th, 2011, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

Jerry, wish I could help but I don't have a clue.
Old September 15th, 2011, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Couple possible things. Check your tire pressures/or wear on the tires. If the tires have different diameters that could cause the issue. Also - this one is highly less likely...check the balance on your tires. Again - anything that might make your system 'sense' slippage.
Old September 16th, 2011, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dyma82
I have a 2007 Silverado with the same problem. The "rear locking differential" should automatically engage whenever one of the rear wheels spins considerably faster than the other. When the lock activates, the two rear wheels are locked together like an ATV.

What is wrong here is that as soon as this mechanism detects that the load on the two axles is back to normal, it should automatically disengage, but it does not.

That is the problem. The "rear locking differential" does not disengage when back to normal. This can damage the rear differential or break one of the axles is the truck is sufficiently loaded.

It can also make you lose control of your truck by causing its rear to skid. This can be very dangerous if you are taking a curve at high speed and the pavement is wet (like in the highway). The failure of "rear locking differential" to disengage will cause one of the rear tires to lose its grip on the road loading all the centrifugal force on the other tire.

I still have to take my truck to the dealer to "try" to get this fixed, but I can see their answer already: "Your truck is within factory parameters".

Well, at least I want to set some precedent in case the worse happens.

If you took your truck to the dealer, could you let me know how it went?
After some research online, I found that this symptom can be the result of using the wrong gear oil in the differential. I took my truck to the dealer 5 months ago, and order an oil change for my differential making sure they would use the required gear oil with some Lithium component in it. I didn't let them diagnose the problem I just requested the oil change. The problem is gone. I had to wait until the rainy season started to really test this. Several dealer mechanics told me is not unusual that the accidentally put the wrong gear oil in the factory, which is my case.
Old October 8th, 2011, 1:23 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> @Colter.Pesek, I apologize for not getting with you about your situation with your 2010 truck. How did things go with your last visit to the dealership?

Michelle, GM Customer Service
Old October 8th, 2011, 5:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem with my Avalanche. No one could ever find the problem. The rear end acted like a 1950s Detroit Locker.
Old October 9th, 2011, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for asking, well I have taken it in again, there was no explanation just another replacement, but the issue is still there. I'm just going to sell the truck had too many issues to be comfortable with keeping it. Anyone want a truck for cheep