Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Long Starting Problems?

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2012, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Starting Problems?

I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 (5.7L V8) that recently has been having a delayed/hard starting. In the mornings it cranks and starts fine, but after it's warm and running a while, it keeps cranking for a while before turning over (roughly about 5-10 seconds to start). It has never not started on me, but I know at some point it will. After starting, it runs fine with no issues.

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue? I'm thinking fuel filter or pressure regulator, or plugs and distributor cap/rotor, but would love to hear some different ideas to point towards as well, just in case.
Old December 21st, 2012, 9:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Whats the fuel pressure? and how long will it hold the pressure for?Do you hear the pump run for about 2 seconds when the key is put in the on postion but not start?
Old December 21st, 2012, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shamrock246
Whats the fuel pressure? and how long will it hold the pressure for?Do you hear the pump run for about 2 seconds when the key is put in the on postion but not start?
I have not checked the pressure. Yes, the fuel pump is on and running.

I replaced the fuel filter yesterday because it was due anyway, but have not had a chance yet to see if it makes a difference.
Old December 21st, 2012, 2:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by athenshome
I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 (5.7L V8) that recently has been having a delayed/hard starting. In the mornings it cranks and starts fine, but after it's warm and running a while, it keeps cranking for a while before turning over (roughly about 5-10 seconds to start). It has never not started on me, but I know at some point it will. After starting, it runs fine with no issues.

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue? I'm thinking fuel filter or pressure regulator, or plugs and distributor cap/rotor, but would love to hear some different ideas to point towards as well, just in case.
There is nothing wrong with changing what you posted, only if for other reasons that is needed, i.e. plugs have 60K, original plug wires ect. I too concur to check the fuel pressure.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel Filter Replaed... New Starter Issue?

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
There is nothing wrong with changing what you posted, only if for other reasons that is needed, i.e. plugs have 60K, original plug wires ect. I too concur to check the fuel pressure.
Ok... I replaced the fuel filter and now it seems that it's turning over as it should. However I think I now might have an issue with my starter not catching the flywheel.

Over my last few cranks, it seems that a few time the starter is not catching the flywheel. Turn the key and the starter motor ignites, but not cranking (just the churning of the starter motor). It's not happening everytime and it'll turn over after trying it again, but it is happening on the first try.

Is there anything related to replacing the fuel filter that could be causing this, or is this a starter issue that just happens to fail?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Changing the fuel filter would not cause this. It is probably the bendix gear on the starter. If it is grinding, fix it fast before the flywheel is damaged beyond it's being usable.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Changing the fuel filter would not cause this. It is probably the bendix gear on the starter. If it is grinding, fix it fast before the flywheel is damaged beyond it's being usable.
Would it be recommended to try and repair the bendix gear or is this a replace the whole starter? I have never made this repair to a starter.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 7:17 AM
CF Senior Member

I would just use it as a core and get another one
Old December 23rd, 2012, 8:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd also replace the whole thing. Bendix isn't that difficult, but if it is shot, chances are the starter is on its last leg.