Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

looking for a tonnea cover(leather kind)

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2012, 7:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, check this out. I had a truxedo tonneau cover. I LOVED IT!!! Didn't leak at all. Was easy enough to roll and unroll with one person. My wife loved it because she didn't need any help to roll or unroll it either. When rolled up, I had access to 99.5% of the bed (small lip at the cab half where the cover was rolled onto). Had a very very easy latching mechanism to completely remove it if I needed the entire bed. I could then store it under the seats of my truck if I was out and about. I opted for the cargo management system one. I routinely put dirt bikes and other large items in the bed, so this was a great value to me. But your specific needs may vary.

When i traded in my truck for my current truck, it came with a hard tri-fold style cover. I HATE THIS THING!!!. I WISH TO GOD I HAD THEM SWAP THEM. But I figured it was a hard cover and would provide better security. Well, I'm sure that is true to a point. However, the thing weighs a ton. My wife can not open the thing at all. I can, but it does require some effort. Additionally, when it is completely open, I only get access to 3/4 of my bed unless I remove the entire thing. And let me tell you how much work that is. First, the removing mechanism is ok but not nearly as easy as the truxedo. Then you have the weight to deal with. And not that it is that heavy, but very awkward to handle. And every time you take it on and off (or fold it all the way back) there is an adjustment period before it will realign with the locking mechanisms.

I would DEFINATELY get another truxedo. Put it to you this way, when I trade the truck in I'm LEAVING this cover on it. I will use that excuse to go buy another truxedo.

I hope this helps

Eric
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a tri fold leather cover for about 2 years and loved it. Mine was a Lund and I would recommend it, tough, easy to install and pretty affordable.

Tonneaus | Truck Tonneaus | Tonneaus Cover