Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Love my Silverado - will never buy another Chevy

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2024, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my Silverado - will never buy another Chevy

New to the forum. I have a 2014 Silverado High Country. Smooth, powerful, extremely comfortable and has been relatively trouble-free. I paid a premium for all the bells and whistles and that was great for a while. Then, 2G was discontinued and I checked with my Chevy dealer about what I could do - I no longer have a navigation system, map, local speed limits, and of course no OnStar. I received a letter that they had an app to replace OnStar which was rather silly. If I have a working cellphone, adequate coverage, and the ability to use it, why would I need the OnStar app? But my dealer also checked with Chevy to see if there was some sort of retrofit for the other missing parts and were told, no, just buy a newer truck. Chevy offers these features on newer trucks, but didn't offer a retrofit at any price to support existing customers. Pretty reprehensible.

I had a catalytic converter replaced last year and it failed. Went to my Chevy dealer last week and they verified it was a warranty replacement, but the item is on back order. It could be weeks or months before Chevy has one available. They don't even have a guess when they will know how long the back order will take. Again, Chevrolet not supporting their customers.

The truly sad part is I really like the truck. I have nearly gotten used to the fact that I have a large color display that occupies most of the dashboard that only tells me what radio station I am listening to. And now, I have an unserviceable vehicle that not only do I not know how long it will be out of service; I don't know when they will be able to tell me how long it will be. Since Chevy will not support their product, I may need to settle for a less desirable competitor's product. I wish the other members of the forum better luck with support from Chevy.

Old August 19th, 2024, 4:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to hear your story.

Sadly, GM took a wrong turn after their bankruptcy in 2009, and things have never been the same since. Corners have been cut, they've outsourced most of their parts to 3rd parties, and seem to have constant supply chain and quality control issues.

I'm hanging onto a 28 year old Chevrolet C1500 extended cab pickup (1996 model) with over 201K fairly trouble free miles on it, as well as a 2006 Silverado standard cab with 134K on it, mostly as I don't know that I will ever be able to buy another pickup truck that matches those 2. My wife saw a Silverado truck ad on TV the other day and told me I should sell my two old trucks and get a new one, and I told her I wasn't sure anything newer than 2008 would be worth buying, or last as long. I see too many stories here of pickups with engine and transmission failures for the models since 2019.