Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure

without seeing the truck i am acquiring the guy told me that the truck has low oil pressure. now what im thinking is maybe a clogged line or faulty pump maybe even just a faulty gauge. any help?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi ironcross1986,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

What's the year and mileage? One thing you could try, assuming it's an older mill with a lot of miles, is to run thicker oil. I personally would avoid additives.

Most older engines have lower than original oil pressure. It's a condition of the mileage and wear of the entire engine, and it's generally not something just replacing the oil pump is going to fix.

If she's running smooth, keep her going till she drops, and don't obsess too much about the actual oil pressure. Generally, it's better to just replace the entire engine as a unit, a patch this late in the game may be more money than it's worth. Just start salting away some money in the new engine cookie jar now for the inevitable.