Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Magnaflow or Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2008, 4:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow or Flowmaster

I ventured in to my local muffler shop which is a Midas shop at the reccomendation of my dealer. They offer either Magnaflow or Flowmaster, single in, dual out system and you choose whether you want it straight out or at a 45 degree bend at the rear tires. Both systems are $312 including install, but i'm not sure which one I want just yet. They say that the flowmaster system has a 1 year warranty, and the magnaflow has a lifetime warranty. They have the 40 series flowmaster and im not sure what model the magnaflow was. One of the guys had a magnaflow system on his '04 Seirra and he let me hear it, it sounded ok. He says the interior sound is good also. I wish i could have heard the flowmaster but none of them had it on their trucks.What system would you guys reccomend, and also which exit? Straight out, 45 or i'll ask if they do 90 also?

Oh and also, my truck is an '07 Silverado new bodystyle 5.3 V8 with AFM/FlexFuel.
Old February 20th, 2008, 4:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnaflow or Flowmaster

I just took off my flowmaster 50 (way way to quiet) and replaced it with a flowmaster original 40 -much better. I also switched the exit from behind the wheels to out the back with 3 1/2 angled tips- looks much better out the back.
Make sure you get the original 40 or the super 44 if you want some sound. I just was talking to another guy on here on a thread I started about the flowmaster 40 or 50 and he had the 50 delta changed to a super 40 and it was still to quiet changed it again an hour later to the original 40 - 2 chamber muffler. You should look for that thread and read it. Its under Silverado. Good luck.
Old February 20th, 2008, 4:47 PM
Super Moderator

Raflcopter726, welcome to the forum!!! Just as a warning (don't hate me), there have been several post about what exhaust to put on a AFM engine. The argument is that some systems sound awful when the engine cuts back four cylinders, so far (I think) there has not been a real deffinitive answer to this issue. As far as which one to go with, itsall up to whatyou like and dislike. I personally love flowmaster.
Old February 20th, 2008, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Northey87, I've read a couple posts about the AFM sound when it kicks in, personally I really dont think it'll be a big deal for me as I do a lot of in town driving so the system wont kick on much anyway, and when I do drive on the highway the quieter noise will probably be better for me. Is it that the exhaust note is quiet or does it have some horrible ungodly annoying sound when the AFM kicks in?
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

No, just that I haveheard that it is comparable to a little honda civic with a loud muffler while the AFM is in four cyindermode. Basically it justsounds funny, some poeple don't care, others it buggs them because they want their truck to sound perfect.Hopefully we will get more people that have tried this and see what they think.
Old February 20th, 2008, 9:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Definately go for the original 40 series 2 chamber,Take my word don't go 50 don't go super 40 if you want true deep aggresive sound and nice rumble at low and mid rpms get the 40 series original 2 chamber.
Yes i tried them all in one day and found out the hard way, Started my day off i came in to my local muffler shop with 50 series suv performance tooolow figured hay super 40 must be bangin, put it on and ...went round the block and straight back to the shop and cut that sh*t off and went with the true sound of excitement the original 40 a day of learning and pissing money away
But all is well that ends well

Would look into finding out how to keep the AFM in performance mode!!!!!!

Peace out >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
Old February 21st, 2008, 7:48 AM
CF Active Member

definetly go with the original 40 i have it on my 06 and love it. had the 50 series on my 89 k5 and was to quiet.

good luck.
Old February 21st, 2008, 4:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey my friend likes the way my truck sounds and wants the same set up but i can't convince him not to go with single chamber(or cherry bombs) because it will be too loud he likes mine but wants it just a little louder so i suggested putting bigger tips on to make it even louder maybe 4 inch mine are 3 1/2 inch
Just don't want to see him go through what i did?
Old February 21st, 2008, 9:16 PM
CF Senior Member

I have the super 40 dumped under my bed and it sounds fantastic!! I couldnt be any happier with it!! Its very deep and loud and I dont get alot of interior sound, just enough to let you know its there.
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Ihave a video in my album.I have the flowmaster super 40. Warning the video has some profane language in it. My truck was almost stuck.

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...08/My%20truck/

Quick Reply: Magnaflow or Flowmaster