Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Mexican Truck

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mexican Truck

I'm back in southern Mexico and as always my 2000 Silverado has some issues. First is the power steering leaks, sitting or running. The leak is where the inner tie rods connect to the center assembley. Can this unit be rebuilt or is new the only option? How expensive is this unit? The other problem is my gas gauge doesn't work, the needle is on empty all the time. How can I check to see if it is the sender or dash unit? Any help is very much appriecated.
Old December 12th, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well 1 thing you can do it drop the gas tank and see if the float is no good.
For the power steering, see if you can find a belt that bypasses the power steering pump,
Then drain it of all fluid and just drive with no power steering until you get back home.

I bought a used ambulance at an auction, it was an econoline 350 turbo diesel and
That is what I did. Although I procrastinated about fixing the pump for so long I just
Got used to driving it for a few years with no power steering. As long as you are moving,
It is not that hard to turn the steering wheel, though definitely noticeable from having
Power steering in the past.

But I am not sure if you can rebuild tire rods or whatever if that is where the leak is coming from.
But good luck with it.
Old December 13th, 2010, 5:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MilleRacer!!! From BARF!!! Wusssup!
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know too much about the power steering, but with the fuel gauge... i had the same problem on an s10 i had. it was the float in my case and thats where i'd check first as mille said... but i would definitely unbolt the bed and have a friend help you move it off the truck. you completely avoid having to drop the tank for that. its a pain to pick up and move but its MUCH LESS work than getting under it and dropping the tank.
Old December 13th, 2010, 6:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaChevyGuy
MilleRacer!!! From BARF!!! Wusssup!
Lol how's it goin?
Welcome to 1 of my other stomping grounds.
Haha You found me!!1!!!11!one!!

Originally Posted by passen1500
with the fuel gauge... but i would definitely unbolt the bed and have a friend help you move it off the truck.
you completely avoid having to drop the tank for that. its a pain to pick up and move but its MUCH LESS work than getting under it and dropping the tank.
Oh ya huh, great idea. Dropping the tank then fitting it back into place is a super pain in the ***.
It would make your life a whole lot easier to just unbolt and remove the bed.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; December 13th, 2010 at 6:43 PM.