Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2010, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mpg

How can i get better mpg with 96 chevy with a 350?
Old May 18th, 2010, 9:53 PM
CF Active Member

well it's kinda hard. you can get a custom pcm, cold air intake, exhuast,(I have herd this stuff will help but never helped much for me) if you have a 2 wheel drive you could put a highway gear in. most of all make sure every thing is tuned up and running good. what is your mpg? my last truck was getting less mpg then before and there where no codes. I replaced all the o2 sensors and I got my mpg back and it idled a little smoother.
Old May 18th, 2010, 9:56 PM
CF Active Member

If the truck is completely stock I would start out by doing a good tune up using all delco parts, put a good exhaust on it, then a CAI, replace the gear oil in the rear end, and flush the tranny and change the filter
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually significantly lost mpg after installing my cold air intake.
These trucks really weren't made for fuel efficiency, they were made for power.
Change all your filters - fuel, air, and oil, put Chevrons' "Techron" formula in every fillup if you don't get Chevron gas,
blow out the engine with compressed air to get all the buildup flushed out so it is nice and clean will help too.
Getting a Tenneau cover for your bed in theory should help with aerodynamics and improve your fuel efficiency too.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; May 18th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old May 19th, 2010, 8:32 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Adjusting your driving habits will be the single biggest improvement you can do and its free..
Auto manufactures design the vehicles to be as efficient as reasonably and cost effective as they can be... could they do more, probably so, but it would cost more then what the improvements would really gain in the short run, most people really don't keep their vehicles long enough for the improvement to pay off or pay for them selves...

If you install performance parts on your truck you are more likely to use them for that purpose witch is most likely counter-productive to what you were trying to do. ( if you make it go faster quicker you will most likely continue to do that and that decreases mpg...)

And as the others have stated, keeping it tuned and maintained will get you closest to what the vehicle was rates to get..

Last edited by in2pro; May 19th, 2010 at 8:36 AM.