Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Multi Problem AC

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi Problem AC

Hello everyone

I own a 2004 chevy silverado 1500 5.3 ltr v8 ext cab. the problem i am having is i beleive 2 different things

1) climate control works on 0-4, when moved to 5 (highest setting) the fuse blows (30 amp fuse)
-things i have done to fix so far:
a)replaced climate controller
b)checked blower motor resistor, changed that out
c)also got a letter from gm about a relay resistor module, took to dealership and they said everything was working properly.
d) in the off chance it happened to a resistor, i unplugged all the pigtails located under passenger side blower motor area and tested moving speed selector to 5, with all pigtails (removed 3) undone, fuse still blew.

2)stuck on defrost only (aware this has been covered, but have to ask)
-things i have done to fix so far:
a)replaced climate controller
b)pulled blend door actuator and tested (located under drivers side dash)
when i pulled it off, i tested the actuator moved the 180 degrees and went back to first position. tried different vent settings, did not turn. i bought a new actuator in the off chance it didn't work, plugged it in and it did the same thing. gets power and moves. i also manually opened the blend door, at first it seemed stuck, prior to moving it was on defrost, and once i used the rod that the actuator is attached to and moved it, it switched to vent (blowing cold air into my face).

the hot/cold air works just fine.

thank you for any help, this actually happened 4+ years ago, so it really never bothered me, however, wife and i recently swapped vehicles and i want to make sure it works correctly. again, thank you for any and all help

Brian
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Can you check current on level 4? I'd make book it is the blower motor as that is high setting. I am NOT sure if level 5 in newer vehicles has a resistor, as old vehicles do not on high.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply kevin,

i'd have to buy the tool for that, so it'll be a few days before i can get back to you on that. i did however disconnect the pig tail from the blower motor (essentially shutting it down) and moved speed from 4 to 5, it did blow the fuse. haven't actually dug into the blower motor itself to see if it is powered by another source yet, going to get into the dash this weekend. this truck does have a few issues w/ it, sporadically the clock will reset and i'll hear a click coming from the cd player, and some gauge lights are out, but others aren't (pretty sure the dash is LED), i am really starting to lean to a short somewhere causing mischeif. again thanks for the reply and i'll see if i can check the current on 4 this weekend
Old November 3rd, 2011, 1:35 PM
CF Monarch

Then I'd suspect the switch has a short in it
Old November 3rd, 2011, 6:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea I am with Kevin I think there is a prob. with the blower motor itself. These things uses resistor blocks to divert current at all speeds except the highest speed. At the highest speed there is no resistor in effect but the fuse blows, so I d say your blower is doo doo.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 6:58 PM
CF Monarch

Well, he said he unplugged it from the motor so, I'd suspect a short in the switch