Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

my brakes are kicking my butt

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2023, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my brakes are kicking my butt

long time listener, first time caller.

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500, RWD with a 4.8 liter engine.

I needed to change the brake pads all the way around, and the rear rotors. While I was doing that, I wanted to make sure the calipers were ok, so I removed them to clean them and reinstall. The caliper pistons were not moving in and out like they should and the brake fluid was extremely dark, and kind of 'sticky' or burnt. I went and got 4 calipers as well. then noticed the master cylinder had some type of algae in it. Bought a new master cylinder, with reservoir. cycled clean brake fluid through the entire system. the brakes were bleeding properly at the calipers and they felt strong at the pedal, but when I start the truck and the vacuum booster engages, they brakes feel spongy and the pedal goes to the floor. I ran the automated abs bleed with the computer and it shows successful. I rebled the brakes at the calipers and still, spongy. I purchased an abs pressure modulator 'used' because it was the only component I thought could still have any type of contamination or particulates in it. Again bled the brakes at the calipers, and once more at the master cylinder. One caliper was giving trouble (left front). went and changed it out at the store, installed it and bled it, no problems. ran the automated bleed procedure again, bled at the calipers AGAIN. brakes feel a lot better, but still not good. the pedal has to be most of the way down to engage and the truck takes too long to come to a complete stop. AT THIS POINT I AM STUMPED. Does anyone here have any ideas?
Old March 26th, 2023, 12:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by one87monte
long time listener, first time caller.

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500, RWD with a 4.8 liter engine.

I needed to change the brake pads all the way around, and the rear rotors. While I was doing that, I wanted to make sure the calipers were ok, so I removed them to clean them and reinstall. The caliper pistons were not moving in and out like they should and the brake fluid was extremely dark, and kind of 'sticky' or burnt. I went and got 4 calipers as well. then noticed the master cylinder had some type of algae in it. Bought a new master cylinder, with reservoir. cycled clean brake fluid through the entire system. the brakes were bleeding properly at the calipers and they felt strong at the pedal, but when I start the truck and the vacuum booster engages, they brakes feel spongy and the pedal goes to the floor. I ran the automated abs bleed with the computer and it shows successful. I rebled the brakes at the calipers and still, spongy. I purchased an abs pressure modulator 'used' because it was the only component I thought could still have any type of contamination or particulates in it. Again bled the brakes at the calipers, and once more at the master cylinder. One caliper was giving trouble (left front). went and changed it out at the store, installed it and bled it, no problems. ran the automated bleed procedure again, bled at the calipers AGAIN. brakes feel a lot better, but still not good. the pedal has to be most of the way down to engage and the truck takes too long to come to a complete stop. AT THIS POINT I AM STUMPED. Does anyone here have any ideas?
If it's using fluid, I'd suspect (and do anyway) the booster diaphram.
Old March 26th, 2023, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
If it's using fluid, I'd suspect (and do anyway) the booster diaphram.
Thanks for responding. I am looking into that online right now to see what the procedure would be. Just to clarify, I have a vacuum booster, not hydraulic, and it was changed a couple of years ago because every time I would hit the brakes I could hear it pissing air loudly in the cab, Also, is there a way to adjust the brake pedal position to engage higher up? My wife is a lot shorter than I am and she sometimes drives the truck to work.
Old March 29th, 2023, 8:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by one87monte
Thanks for responding. I am looking into that online right now to see what the procedure would be. Just to clarify, I have a vacuum booster, not hydraulic, and it was changed a couple of years ago because every time I would hit the brakes I could hear it pissing air loudly in the cab, Also, is there a way to adjust the brake pedal position to engage higher up? My wife is a lot shorter than I am and she sometimes drives the truck to work.
Dont think so.Just have your wife scoot the seat forward.
The following users liked this post:
one87monte (March 29th, 2023)
Old October 24th, 2023, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2002 with this exact same issue. Bled the vses and abs and seems to be no more air in the lines. Start the truck up and the pedal is spongy again.