Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

My Silverado

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Silverado

I Have a 1991 Silverado. With a 350. I need to know how to and the benefits of switching from throttle body to 4 barrel carb and what to do about the computer and efi wiring. how much extra power would i recive from that and P&P the heads.
Old April 9th, 2009, 5:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm given to understand TBI is better, that's why it was switched over in the first place.

Look into Cold Air Intakes, and Dual Exhausts. CAI is cheap, at @270$ it'll put gobs of easy revs at your fingertips. D/E is the gift that keeps on giving, for a more powerful, cooler running, quieter truck.

Internal engine mods are way overrated unless you really want to spend the big bucks.
Old April 9th, 2009, 5:47 PM
CF Active Member

I think carbureted motors allow for more flexibility with mods. They usually accept more mods and respond better IMO. That is, as long as you are wanting to go pretty far with the mods. But as far as stock goes, the EFI system will spank a carb in every category. I think in small mods the EFI is better.
Old April 9th, 2009, 6:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude keep the throttle body its a lot better then a carb!!! Its not multipoint fuel injection so its still easy to work on and not as many sensors, more horsepower and better fuel economy with TBI!! the two best things to buy for that truck are gonna be a chip and cold air intake!!! i dont have cold air intake yet but i soon will!!! I have the chip the it improves fuel ecomomy and adds more horses!!
Old April 9th, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Active Member

dude im going to tell you FROM EXPERIANCE DONT DO IT DO NOT DO IT trust me i have a 1989 silverado with a 1967 283 with a 4barool carb i get on a GOOD day about 10 MPG and when im opening all 4 barrols i get like 2-3 mpg... DONT DO IT... you will not be happy with it... take your timing to 8 and have your head port and polished and put a 1" throttle body on it, also like they said get the K&N air filter i have a friend who is real happy with this cold air intake, and run 2 1/2" exhaust down both sides of your truck run either a flowmast or a magnaflow, MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE CROSS PIPING IN to equilisethe pressure.. do THIS and you will LOVE the way your truck runs... before my 350 blow up i did this and it had ALOT more power

Last edited by 89silverado283; April 9th, 2009 at 9:44 PM.