Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

need help on choosing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on choosing exhaust

Hey, i have a 94 Silverado 5.7 and i am wanting to get true dual exhaust, and i will take any advice, opinions, or sound clips of other people's exhaust to help me make a choice. I am wanting to buy magnaflow because it has a deep muscle sound, and i want to lean away from flowmaster because of the tinny raspy sound when you rev it if anyone knows what i mean. I still want my exhaust to be noticably louder than stock without the rasp and tinny sound when its reved. I am thinking of a cat back system with 3 inch pipe with 3.5 inch tips, but im not positive, and i dont know what size of muffler to get. I will take any advice. Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2009, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless your going to put 2 cats on it you can't have true dual with the factory cat. I did a cat back on my 93, then removed the cat, i has a staright through glasspack style muffle (cannot remember the brand) goes straight out the back trough 2 1/2 inch tips and it sounds fine with no rasp. If i had it to do over i would go with true dual with cherry bombs but aftermarket bolt in kits are so handy!
Old May 31st, 2009, 5:18 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm running a single cherry bomb glasspack and i love it. I will soon be going true dual 3" with dual glasspacks as well. Great sound.
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:56 PM
CF Active Member

Glasspacks are always good. I recently got a cherrybomb turbo on my truck, it sounds kinda like a flowmaster, but not tinny or raspy, as far as I can tell. I've never heard a magnaflow. My friend has dynomax ultraflow or whatever it is that they are called, and they sound awesome as well. If all you want is sound, you don't necessarily need a true dual setup.
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

im runnin edelbrock headers with true dual glasspacks and 2.5 pipe and you know its me when i get on it
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Have a one in two out Flowmaster muffler with no cat It sounds good but I am looking for more of a low growl.. ... But here in a little bit I will be running a Magnaflow true dual system with two Summit racing high flow catalytic converters. I think The engine runs better with the cats on because of the backpressure and the computer expects the Cats to be there...... But that is just my opinion.
Old June 1st, 2009, 9:58 AM
CF Active Member

It's a well-supported opinion, Suzuki-Guy. It's been shown time and time again that Chevy motors need their backpressure to close the valves, though the truck should have enough backpressure with a muffler on each pipe. If you didn't want to spend the money on the high-flow catalytic converters, you could just build in an X or H-pipe to balance the pressures across your exhaust system, which will also increase your backpressure.

To the thread creater, I am running true duals with a catalytic converter and a flowmaster 40 series on each pipe on a big block, and I'm not exactly sure what 'rasp' you're talking about. I'm not a fan of glass packs at all, but I would rather have a truck that has high sound quality than overall loudness. Anything can be loud; quality trucks don't have a point to prove.

I'll end this post with a link to a rev-up video of my truck, and let me know what you think about the sound. Though, keep in mind, it is a Big Block and does have a slightly different sound than SBCs.

K2500
Old June 1st, 2009, 6:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds just like my truck and mines a smallblock very nice!!! And I think hes talking about the rasp after you lett off the exhaust am I right?
Old June 1st, 2009, 7:17 PM
CF Active Member

The back pressure popping? Man, that's the sound I look for! It sounds amazing.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Your right suzuki-guy thats the sound i mean. I appreciate everyones oppinions and their thoughts, but i went to the exhaust shop yesterday and im now getting magnaflow true duals with 2.5 inch pipe, and they are taking the cat off too.

Quick Reply: need help on choosing exhaust