Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need Help with Horn on 2007 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Horn on 2007 Silverado

I just 'inherited' a 2007 Chevy 1500 Z71 4x4 crew cab that came with a few issues. One that I am having a hell of a time with is with the horn. It will not sound from either the steering wheel, or from any other type of action (key fob clicks, etc). Every once in a while, it will let loose just the littlest squeak, but thats it. I have already changed the horn fuse, and bought a new relay, but I cannot find where the actual horn relay is located... Does anyone have clue where I need to look, or what other possible cause may be creating this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old July 26th, 2011, 6:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem on my Suburban when I got it. Bad horns. On mine the horns are right behind the grille. YOu have to take off the grille to see.
Old July 26th, 2011, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
I had the same problem on my Suburban when I got it. Bad horns. On mine the horns are right behind the grille. YOu have to take off the grille to see.
So I guess the way the horns are set up is that if one goes out, the other does not work either? As I assume they both run off of the same electrical circuit? How difficult was it to replace them in your suburban? Where did you get the replacement horns?
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Autozone. $20 for 2. High and low tone. They dont normally go out at the same time, but it happens.

Yep, the horn receives the power and usually grounds to the radiator support and there is a extension that connects it to the 2nd horn in series.
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Gaigebacca,

It depends if it is a classic or new style Silverado. Both were made in 2007. If it is a classic Silverado there is a replaceable relay in the under hood fuse block. If it is a new style Silverado the horn relay is part of the printed circuit board that is only available with UBEC (under hood bussed electrical center).

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service