Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need help with new wheels

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2011, 9:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with new wheels

It's about time for some new rims and tires. I have a 2004 2500-non HD crew cab 4x4. I have cranked up the bolts on the torsion keys and have installed 1 1/2" lift blocks on the back. I would like to upgrade to 17 x 8" or 18 x 9" rims with a 33" tall tire, either 285-70-17 or 285-65-18. I would like to keep as much of this combo inside the wheel well as possible with no rubbing. What offset is needed to accomplish this? I also don't like the staggered wheel look so I want to get spacers for the rear to bring the wheels out to match the wideth of the front. How thick should the spacers be? Will this combo cause any problems with the transmission shifting? I currently run 265-75-16 on stock wheels now with no problems other than the speedo being 2 mph off.
Old January 18th, 2011, 1:53 AM
CF Beginner

Any crancking up of the torsion bars/front suspension requires a front end aliagnment ,any spacers I would'nt goe beyound 1/2 " ,I always went a 1-1/2 " offset,which is usually ok and makes a world of difference in handling, but check further to see if OK
for the fun
Old January 18th, 2011, 6:06 PM
CF Active Member

i have already had the front end aligned. The spacers I am refering to are the thick ones, 1 1/2" or 2", that come with new wheel studs. Maybe they are considered adapters? 8 lug x 6.5" to 8 lug x 6.5". I'm not sure
Old January 20th, 2011, 5:16 PM
CF Active Member

Is this information some kind of trade secret or does everyone on this forum have a stock pickup truck? Thank you to mdseeker for your reply although 1 1/2" offset on a 8" or 9" wide rim would put the entire wheel outside of the wheel well.
Old January 21st, 2011, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default I would do rim offset

I would recomend if buying rims and tires to use a 1 1/2" rim offset and not to use spacers.Check with the installer to see if this combo is right for your application.
Old January 24th, 2011, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

if your trying to keep a beefy look i would stay away from the 285-65-18. its more of a wide/short tire compared to a 285-70-17 a wide/tall, both are still 33s but the aspect ratio doesnt look very tough on a 285-65.
maybe even a 275-70-18? it will all depend on which offset you choose.
Old January 24th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Active Member

I looked at the 275-70-18's on the BFG website and it say's that the BFG All Terrain in this size is not recommended for severe snow. I live in northern Indiana where we get our fair share of lake effect snow. What would be the difference? The 285-65-18" do not have this notation by them.
Old January 25th, 2011, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

there shouldnt be a difference in tread pattern between sizes besides a lug or two. For snow and ice tires there are Sipes in them (the little slices through the lug). It collects moisture that then causes friction with the snow and ice causing traction. That size difference should have nothing to do with this.
I had a pair of General Grabbers AT when I lived in Rochester NY and they did well in the snow. they even had little studd holes if you wanted spikes.
Old January 28th, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Your best bet is getting the ballistic jesters in either a 17 or 18 with a -12 offset this wheel offset will push the wheel out like you want and also this will work on your vehicle

http://www.rimslegend.com/Ballistic-...istic-off-road
Old February 1st, 2011, 6:03 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but keep them coming. As some of you already know, rims and tires are a pretty substantial investment, and not something you want to get wrong or take lightly. Armed with some information and suggestions would go a long way in sleeping at night knowing I got it right.

Quick Reply: Need help with new wheels