Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

need help with TBI and carb engine

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2011, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with TBI and carb engine

hi i have a 1987 chevy 1/2ton with a 305 TBI.. now i am looking into purchasing a carb engine.. can i put the carb engine in my truck and get an adapter for my TBI to go on top of the manifold? is there any differnce in the engines that i cannon do this.. i have heard i can from some people and others said i cant
Old September 30th, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

anyone?
Old October 1st, 2011, 5:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try here:

How to install GM TBI on any Chevy V8
Old October 1st, 2011, 6:52 PM
CF Junior Member

If i,am reading this right.. you can bolt a carb straight to your tbi engine.
Early gm tbi made just like a carb with two injectors on it.
Notice the heat riser on the breather.. tbi does not even need it.
But your carb will.
Old October 1st, 2011, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

yes, i already have the TBI motor and harness in my truck right now.. was wondering if i could put a carb engine in my truck and just hook the tb on to it.. would it run is there any much difference between a tbi and carb engine? thanks
Old October 1st, 2011, 8:38 PM
CF Junior Member

You will need to have all the sensors on other engine. Map .. knock.. esc.. coolant temp sensor ect. will need dist. from tbi engine . You have the iacv and tps mounted to tbi.
You could make it work.. with some work. Probably be easier to leave it carbed do away with all the tbi stuff. Hope this helps.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by loosebearing
You will need to have all the sensors on other engine. Map .. knock.. esc.. coolant temp sensor ect. will need dist. from tbi engine . You have the iacv and tps mounted to tbi.
You could make it work.. with some work. Probably be easier to leave it carbed do away with all the tbi stuff. Hope this helps.
maybe im confusing everyone here lol.. is there any difference between a tbi engine and a carb engine?except the fact one is tbi and other carb.. but engine wise.. i already have a tbi engine in my truck but i want to get a carb engine out of another truck and put it in mine and still hook up the tbi to the new engine.. would i be able to do this? if you see what im saying now
Old October 2nd, 2011, 3:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by wagn6137
maybe im confusing everyone here lol.. is there any difference between a tbi engine and a carb engine?except the fact one is tbi and other carb.. but engine wise.. i already have a tbi engine in my truck but i want to get a carb engine out of another truck and put it in mine and still hook up the tbi to the new engine.. would i be able to do this? if you see what im saying now
Not confusing... to work the tbi you will need all sensors from your tbi engine . and ecm / computer. You will have to have knock sensor located in block of tbi engine. A carbed engine has no sensors. If you can figure how to put all sensors off tbi .. onto carbed engine.. then you can mout tbi to it. it will run.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 9:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he's saying is he already has TBI and wants to put an engine in that is carburated.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by loosebearing
Not confusing... to work the tbi you will need all sensors from your tbi engine . and ecm / computer. You will have to have knock sensor located in block of tbi engine. A carbed engine has no sensors. If you can figure how to put all sensors off tbi .. onto carbed engine.. then you can mout tbi to it. it will run.
Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
What he's saying is he already has TBI and wants to put an engine in that is carburated.

Yeah OW that is what LB is saying correctly.He needs the dizzy from the TBI too.Might be easier to just swap intake manifolds.

Quick Reply: need help with TBI and carb engine