Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need some mod help

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2009, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some mod help

I've recently taken my truck out offroading and had a blast! But my heart broke a little bit when when I came across a tree or two that fell across the trail and my truck was too low to get over it. So I came back that night and started looking at lift kits and other modifications for my truck. If anyone knows about 4-6" lifts for around $500 bucks and isn't too difficult to self-install, I don't mind learning and getting my hands dirty. Also got curious about making my 2wd a 4wd. How hard is it and what would it require to accomplish this? Appreciate any and all responses
Old March 30th, 2009, 7:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Making a 2wd a 4wd is no simple job. You have a whole different frontal frame to contend with for one thing. It would be a full rebuild of the whole front suspension, part of the framework, not to mention the installation of a transaxle and a front differential.

To my knowledge, there are no lifts that big for less than $500...
Old March 30th, 2009, 9:57 AM
CF Active Member

the time effort money and headache it would take to convert 2wd to 4wd in my opinion youd be better off buyin a new one...might get lucky and find one thats already lifted for a good price....cant go wrong with an 80s short bed
Old March 30th, 2009, 1:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not just keep your vehicle for running, and buy a used,lifted,4X4 for funning? You'd be surprised how much cheaper it is just to get the whole vehicle already done the way you want it.

There's a lot of stuff out there, and, EvansBlue is right, making the mods you want to make aren't really a good idea. People who have a lot of experience with this stuff generally don't make the conversion, except in very limited situations.
Old March 30th, 2009, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

I understand where you're going with the one for running and one for funning but the only thing is this truck doesn't really get that good of mileage as it is but I don't really want a car, so I was going to attempt to make this my "funning" truck and pick up another vehicle for driving but obviously making it a 4x4 is entirely too much work and I'm definitely not rich by any means. I do appreciate everyone's input though
Old March 31st, 2009, 5:01 AM
CF Active Member

side note if ur gettin a funning truck try to find somethin with a short wheel base
Old March 31st, 2009, 2:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like the plan might be to sell your truck or trade it in. DJDJ is right about the short wheelbase. I only run my CCLB in the sauce when I have to, and I'm checking out winches as we speak.
Old April 1st, 2009, 2:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah converting 2wd to 4wd........NOT WORTH IT!!!! You might as well sell yours and buy a 4wd that salready lifted up.... lifted up 90s style chevys are a dime a dozen you can find them all over in fact if you would of talked to me about a week ago i could of got you a 97 z71 w/ 6 inch suzupension lift and 35,s. mines a 95 withe a 6 inch lift and 35s and i love it!!!