Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need tire advise

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2010, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tire advise

I have 07 Silverado 4x4 NBS completely stock. I plan on getting a Rancho Quick Lift and need advise on tires. I have narrowed it down to three choices: BFG AT, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac or the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial. According to Rancho I can run up to 285/70R17 with the Quicklift so thats what I used for size. So my questions are:
1. Can I keep my stock rims?
2. Will I have any rubbing?
3. I do some light off roading but most of my commute is highway so Im really looking for a tire that will perform in snow/mud and still be a pleasure to drive on roads. Any ideas/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ShootinBlanks; January 13th, 2010 at 2:16 PM.
Old January 13th, 2010, 2:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShootinBlanks
I have 07 Silverado 4x4 NBS completely stock. I plan on getting a Rancho Quick Lift and need advise on tires. I have narrowed it down to three choices: BFG AT, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac or the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial. According to Rancho I can run up to 285/70R17 with the Quicklift so thats what I used for size. So my questions are:
1. Can I keep my stock rims?
2. Will I have any rubbing?
3. I do some light off roading but most of my commute is highway so Im really looking for a tire that will perform in snow/mud and still be a pleasure to drive on roads. Any ideas/advise will be greatly appreciated.

you could keep your stock wheels as long as your tires aren't to wide

as for rubbing you should be safe(i did minor trimming that you cant notice with 35's)

for tires the mickey thompsons are a good tire, the wrangler's are also a good choice but i would personally go with the bfg at's(my personal choice)
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another choice of tire you could go with is the goodyear wrangler silent armor tire. they are quiet on the highway and get a great rating in the snow and mud. a better rating than the bfg at's get in the snow. just a suggestion. good luck
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:13 PM
CF Active Member

I have the BFG AT and they have been pretty good to me, both on and off road. Haven't been in snow, but have been in loose sand and some mud.
Old January 14th, 2010, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

First I would like to say thank you for all your responses. The tires all seem to be pretty evenly matched. I havnt ran into a person yet that has had anything negative to says about the BFG AT's so Im kinda leaning in that direction right now.

According to Rancho they recommend rear shocks tt go along with the quick lift. Anyone had any experiance with this? Ive searched the forum and havent come across this situation.
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
CF Senior Member

yes you might need some longer shocks with the blocks in the rear ...
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of those three tires you've picked from i'd go with the BFG AT. I used to have them and I could get through what I wanted in them and they also last forever on the road. Yeah stock rims will be ok without rubbing
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the info guys. I've decided on the BFG ATs, I'm going to go and talk with the local truck shop and see what they have to say. Thanks again.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

wow, your stock rims will fit a 285/70?
Old February 4th, 2010, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Funkyjiffy- Thats the word from Rancho and also seems to be the consensus from everyone I've talked to so far. Ive been doing a lot of research and all signs point to yes my truck came with 265 so im not going to much bigger.

Quick Reply: Need tire advise