Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Needing Help on a Body Swap

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2010, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Help on a Body Swap

I am new to this site, but have been a chevy dude all my life! Anyway I have a project going on and am in need of some help. I have a 79 chevy 4x4 sitting on 42 swampers and thought that it would be cool to put a 89 Z71 body on my chasis. I have the body off of the 79 already and the bed off of the 89. from what I can tell this ain't going to be a real easy job. Has any of ya'll ever done this type of swap? Would it be better to just change all of the drivetrain to the 89 frame? We have a bog in in 3 weeks and I don't have alot of time to get this done. Any info will help and I thank You in advance!
Old August 15th, 2010, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

I got the 89 cab on the 79 frame. The front mounts lined right up with some holes that were already there and I don't see any problem with them. My new question is where the 79 mounts are on the frame I am going to have to drill into the body and mount it like that. Is this going to be a problem? the 79 frame is around 8.5 inches narrower than the 89. If I mount this like this will it hold up? anybody?
Old August 15th, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would try to bend some sheet steel to the shape of the cab and weld it on for extra security, does the frame still rest on the c-channel?
Old August 16th, 2010, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

No, I am pretty sure that it's just the floor board. This is a mud truck only, so I wasn't really going to worry about it a whole lot, but if somehow it turned over, that might be bad.