Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Nerf bars/step

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2010, 3:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nerf bars/step

I bought my 05 Z71 used and it has running boards on it. The longer I have it the more I think they are kind of grandpa'ish. I ordered some Husky mud flaps and I may just use them with no step, but want some opinions.

What do you think of the nerf bars? I was thinking of getting 3" Dee Zee but wonder if they are too small. It looks like either a 3" or 4" will have a few inches more ground clearance than my grandpa steps. No offense intended for anyone that has them.
Old March 14th, 2010, 4:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to see pics of the truck as it is now to make a good opinion. I hate nerf bars honestly. I've never had a truck tall enough for 'em either though.
Old March 14th, 2010, 5:53 PM
CF Active Member

This is the type of nerf bar by I'm considering, if at all. My truck is a 1/2 ton Z71, and not an HD. I may not put one on at all. I'll probably put the husky mud guards on and see how I like it for ahwile. It is a bit more of a step to get in now. I just got the boards off a little bit ago and I do like it with them off.

You say you haven't had a truck tall enough. Your truck is surely as high or higher than mine.

I need to get some pictures of my truck uploaded to the site. Gotta find em first.
Attached Thumbnails Nerf bars/step-25-1685_01.jpg  
Old March 14th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is high, but not quite high enough for nerf bars. I don't like 'em, I'd have to have a use for 'em. Even then prolly just on the passenger side for the wife.
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I have the exact same nerf bars on my truck as the ones in the picture you were considering. My truck is a 98 and I thought they looked decent, but like nauticstar87 said, I never really used them because my truck didn't sit up that high. Now it's lifted and I'm definitely glad I have them.