Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New to Diesels - What to expect with maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Diesels - What to expect with maintenance?

Any tips on diesel maintenance? I'm trying to determine how different it is to maintain a diesel vs. gasser and get an idea for the maintenance costs.

I'm looking at purchasing a 2007 Silverado 2500 HD diesel with low miles. It's needed totow a large travel trailer. However,normal use will be driving to and from a train station (10 minutes each way) with weekend trips to church (35 minutes / 24 miles) and occassional trips to the store. Not a lot of long driving times.

Thanks, Dave
Old February 3rd, 2008, 6:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: New to Diesels - What to expect with maintenance?

Buy the truck, and buy a 4 banger. You don't want to make short trips with a desiel. Much less a turbo Desiel. It's not good for them.
Maint will be the same as for a gas engine. I don't know how long glow plugs are supposed to last. Air filters, fuel filter/fuel water separator on desiel. (drain water at least once a week)
The fuel water separator and glow plugs are the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that are really different.
Make sure you use desiel engine oil.
Old February 5th, 2008, 1:41 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: New to Diesels - What to expect with maintenance?

well there is a big difference in maint.. not really alot your just buying stuff in bigger quantities.. youll have to spend like 100-115 for an oil change, 35 maybe rfor fuel water seperator, bigger oil filters, more trans fluid for trans service, and if your doing short drives in a turbo diesel you might want to change your oil alot more often then every 3k miles.. its really bad for a turbo diesel to just make short trips. glow plugs usually last forever on those.