Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

NEW to the forum

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2009, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW to the forum

Hey guys, figured i'd join up here.. i just recently bought a new truck.. its a regular cab 2wd 05 silverado, 5.3, the back has been lowered, and its got 20" ultra wheels.. i do have a quick question though.. why does it seem so slow off the line? i have exhaust and an airraid intake on it.. i know it has a lot of power.. just dont know why it seems to be kind of a turd off the line?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 3:27 PM
CF Junior Member

what type of gearing do u have? maybe try putting new gearing like 488's. putting gearing sucks more gas though but it will make a difference off the line.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 6:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlowLeak
Hey guys, figured i'd join up here.. i just recently bought a new truck.. its a regular cab 2wd 05 silverado, 5.3, the back has been lowered, and its got 20" ultra wheels.. i do have a quick question though.. why does it seem so slow off the line? i have exhaust and an airraid intake on it.. i know it has a lot of power.. just dont know why it seems to be kind of a turd off the line?

slowleak im sure the person you bought the truck from wanted it to look good with the 20's and loud exhaust..when the 20's were installed it will rob the truck of power,the engine is going to have to work harder to turn the huge wheels and tires. the truck performance was set up from the factory to run it's best with the smaller wheels...exhaust and cai are just the tip of the icedberg when doing modest performace upgrades...if your looking for a launch off the line try putting some stock wheels and see if that makes a difference..it will... you could go with newer gears set up for your particular app but that will start to get expensive....headers with 3" exhaust running from them with high flowing cat,get a good tuner/programmer,...the list could go on for days.......it must be fum trying to stop that truck with the stock rotors and 20's?
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, let's lay it out, about 2000$ expensive, and that's just for 410s.

Last edited by therewolf; September 5th, 2009 at 1:04 PM.
Old September 4th, 2009, 1:35 PM
CF Active Member

id go with a smaller wheel. get rid of those 20's and put on some 15's.
Old September 4th, 2009, 9:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bet it hooks good on those 20's, have you tried brake torquing to bring the rpm's up on the launch
Old September 4th, 2009, 9:59 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.
Old September 12th, 2009, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

In my opinion 20's aren't gonna make that big of a difference, i have had trucks that i've went up 2 of three sizes on the tires and wheels and it didnt slow them down that much, granted the 20's will make a slight difference, but not so drastic that i will have trouble stopping, my buddy has a Z71 with 3:73 gears and his is slow off the line too, its still a fast truck, i raced a 5.4 ford last night and dusted ti, i just want it to build rpms a little quicker off the line, i dont wanna make it a race truck. and just for the record the exhaust isnt that loud.. its just a 2 chamber.. and it still has the cat..
Old September 12th, 2009, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you..
Old September 12th, 2009, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lukemoore646
i bet it hooks good on those 20's, have you tried brake torquing to bring the rpm's up on the launch
Yeah i do that.. it takes off pretty hard then it just doesnt build rpms very quickly.. it hooks great..

Quick Reply: NEW to the forum