Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New to the forum..."Hello!"

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2016, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum..."Hello!"

Hey all,
I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello. I also wanted your opinions. I hope it hasn't been asked somewhere else in this forum that I did not search. My 1992, C3500, 4 door dually has 112000 miles on the truck. Grandpa rarely ever drove it further than across his yard. The 454ci runs great, no issues at all. However, I will say I am a little disappointed in the pulling power though. Don't get me wrong, it has power, but when I am pulling a trailer or car (I bought it from my grandfather as a tow rig) up a hill it down shifts multiple times. For example, I was pulling a 12 foot utility trailer up a hill here in Virginia and it shifted down into 2nd. And struggled to stay above 45mph. I will say that I had it loaded down with much of my garage/shop so there was plenty of weight in that trailer. However I expected more. So, my question for you all professionals is should I call it good enough and leave well enough alone, should I pull out the 454ci and build it up, or should I look for a early 90's 6.5 t-diesel and do a complete part swap into mine. I also know the Gen-V 454ci isn't the best to build for power so "IF" I went that way I would look into going old school and going to carb with a new cam/heads/intake. I saw a 454ci build in SuperChevy that was over 500hp/tq. My goal for this truck is much less then that, I feel 300hp minimum and as close to 400tq as I can get to the pavement would be more than enough. However, I have no clue how to go from computer controlled TBI to carb. So, after that long, long story, can you see my conundrum? I want more pulling power...what is the best way to achieve it?

Thanks guys, and I look forward to talking to you in the future,
Canty