Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

new headers

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2010, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new headers

I'm wanting to put some headers on my truck and I found a couple different ones online that I like. One set is stainless steel and the other set is the same stainless steel with a ceramic coating, but they cost $100 more. Is it worth it to pony up the extra money to get the ceramic coating? As far as I can tell, the two sets are the same except for the coating.
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in all honesty, YES! if you live in an area with snow, salt or anything then double yes. ceramic coating really helps keep the luster, retains heat so the heat from exhaust remains mostly in the tube, and doesn't heat up the engine bay. ceramic is a great substance when dealing with heat. I myself am getting long tube headers. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-70-2262 the ceramic coated part number is 72-2262. I am getting them from flatlander racing, the non coated ones are like 260 the coated ones 380. freaking amazing price for long tubes. what headers are you looking at that are stainless? i know your header might be different from mine since your 4x4.
however, there is an alternative. if you are buying shorty headers, then i would opt to get the non ceramic coated ones, and then get a can of duplicolor ceramic header paint, read the label. you will need a house hold electric oven. What you do is clean the headers, paint it, then bake the paint on at like 400 degrees for like 20 minutes. reason i said do this for shortys is because they fit nicely in an oven. unless you happen to know someone that does powder coating and will let you use the larger oven to bake them. but either way. ceramic coating is really a good way to go. my buddy has a huge oven for powder coating but he hasnt answered my calls so i may just spend more money on the ceramic coated set. hope this helps.
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said...