Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New here and i have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2009, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New here and i have some questions.

hey all,
I would like to begin by saying that this is an awesome forum! I am going to be driving on my own soon (november) and I will be rollin in a '98 Chevy Silverado w/ extended cab (2wd) . I cant wait. However, my dad owns a construction/concrete company and it was a work truck almost 7 of those 11 years. Im not saying anything is bad about work trucks (im going to use it for work/play), but the guys treat it like a piece of crap. The bed is ripped to bits from all of the slamming over the years, the inside is FILLED with random garbage that the guys are too lazy to pick up, and it doesnt run to much so it smokes like a mother when it first starts up in the morning. I would love to buy a new truck with the money i have earned but i have realized that this is a no-go. So, i want to re-do what i may already have. I have no experience matching parts for trucks, however i do know how to do all of the maintanence because im a dirt bike nut, not to mention my dad has taught me a few tricks .

Here are the problems:
-runs pretty bad (I think because the diesel is gelling and needs to be run)
-the bed is pretty messed up
-The wheels/tires are made for a weak towncar
-The dents and paint need to be fixed up
- It needs to be cleaned

I want to take the truck offroad (is it possible to have a decent 2wd off roader???) so here are the solutions im thinking about:

-just run it, see how everything pans out/engine modifications
-lift kit (Please help with this I dont know what to look for)
-I want new wheels (black) and tires
- Get it completely detailed

P.S- I just got news that my jackass cousin was driving the dumptruck in the yard and messed up the entire rear bumper when he hit my truck. He doesnt know it yet, but im gonna beat the crap out of him tommorow . It may be the "$hitty Chevy" but its my $hitty Chevy

I need your help with all of these things, sorry im such a newb but im only 15 . I have driven my dads '07 silverado and i LOVE the truck. I have decent driving experience and TONS of dirt bike experience.

I feel this wouldnt be complete with some source of photography:

Here is my 2006 CRF250x:

Name:  IMG_5039.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  149.4 KB

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

Offroadnut193
Old April 16th, 2009, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

P.S- Hopefully i will get pictures of the truck at work tommorow.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
CF Active Member

A lift won't be worth it on a 2wd diesel. If it's your first vehicle, it'll be perfect. If you hit something, it will be hard to notice. That's a good thing about beat up work trucks.
Old April 17th, 2009, 8:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

98white5.0 is soo right. I regret getting a nice car for my first vehicle, inevitably you screw it up.

Any pickup truck is bad in it's own right,don't feel too driven to make major changes yet.
Just get some experience under your belt,and enjoy the truck as it is.

Later on, it'll be herds cheaper to go 4WD with something else. A 2WD to 4WD conversion, (which seems to be a popular topic) is very difficult and expensive for experienced mechanics, and generally more trouble than it's worth.
Old April 17th, 2009, 8:45 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum, well you have one of the most important parts taken care of, you have a good attitude and the willingness to give it a go.

I would focus on getting it running

The cleaning will go a lot better / faster if you pull out the seats, you can vacuum the inside really good with the seats and any floor console out of your way and if you decide to shampoo the carpets it will also go better.
With the seats out you can also clean them up and put seat covers on if you so choose to.

As for the bed, a liner will solve that for a few hundred bucks

Clean up the engine with simple green and regularly wash it and it will make maintenance a lot easier and detection of any leaks easier.

Good luck and keep us updated with pictures and progress
Old April 17th, 2009, 9:49 AM
CF Junior Member

I love your enthusiasm man!
Get out there with some soap and water and clean that thing up! The above posters were right...get it as clean as possible, throw a drop in bedliner in it to hide the ugly bed (those can be had for less than $150) and check out craigslist for some decent used wheels. You can usually find a low budget paint shop in most cities that will squirt it for a couple hundred bucks if you sand it yourself, and you will have a decent ride for a 16 year old!

Oh by the way, that is a sweet bike! My 12 year old son rides a DR-Z 125. I hope to have him skilled enough to ride one like yours one day....
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

BTW, if your shop has compressed air, do what the professional detailers do, blow out the floor of the truck with compressed air. That'll save you pulling out the seats on that thing. Be sure to wear eye protection.
Old April 17th, 2009, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much guys. The reason im interested in this truck is because it has loads of potential. I am also interested in the lift/wheels, not only to make it look better, but i have 4x4 parks connected too my motorcycle parks (for those in the area: Carnegie and Hollister Hills). I think that once i clean it up it will look a million times better. I was talking to my dad about the truck last night and he said that the truck will raise up a good three inches removing the 50-100 gallons of diesel that is in the spare tank, as well as the toolbox . I think i will ask if i can take it home soon to start my work before i have my liscense and so i can practice with my permit. I have also just read about a lift kit that used to be made by Dick Cepek, which fits the 88-98 chevys. Thanks for all of your help and i will post pictures of my "project " soon.
Old April 17th, 2009, 4:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt lift it dude diesel 2wd wont be worth it just drive it man before two long youll find yourself wanting a nice lifted up 4wd truck. just clean it and put a bed liner in it or just by a can of roll on bed liner and do it yourself good project for you!! I just sold my CR250 i got a 85 LT250R quad i am rebuilding right now! Good luck man
Old April 17th, 2009, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
i wouldnt lift it dude diesel 2wd wont be worth it just drive it man before two long youll find yourself wanting a nice lifted up 4wd truck. just clean it and put a bed liner in it or just by a can of roll on bed liner and do it yourself good project for you!! I just sold my CR250 i got a 85 LT250R quad i am rebuilding right now! Good luck man
thanks for the input and nice quad, it should be a fun project. With the lift, i am not talking about a 4 or five inch lift with a body lift and all, i am thinking a subtle 2 inch lift that would give me room for wheels would do. i know this wont be the most offroad capable by far, but i would like to have some room to play.

Quick Reply: New here and i have some questions.