Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New here. Thinking about trading for this 2004 Z71. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. Thinking about trading for this 2004 Z71. Worth it?

Hi all.

I am new to Chevrolet and trucks in general. I have a 2003 350z right now and am looking at trading for this truck.

Here are the specs of the two vehicles

Nissan
350z
Automatic
130k Miles
Clean title in hand
Special aftermarket paint that changes colors
Nothing wrong with car besides cosmetics and minor things

Truck
Chevrolet
Silverado
Z71
4x4
140k Miles
REBUILT TITLE You can tell it was hit in the side and airbags did go off. Only miscolored part is the third door on drivers side. DO you think the airbags and that door could have totaled the truck out?
Truck is currently flawless with some new tires on it

I am asking around 8500 for my car. Would this truck be worth close to my vehicles value or worth less?

Would you trade a clean clear title for the truck?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails New here. Thinking about trading for this 2004 Z71. Worth it?-new-truck-front.jpg   New here. Thinking about trading for this 2004 Z71. Worth it?-here-115.jpg  
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Pics of Z

Old May 3rd, 2014, 7:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the damage was more than the value of the truck, hence the insurance company writing it off. Where I live for a truck to be put back on the road after being branded...it must go pass a thorough inspection process of frame measurements. As long as this was done and the wheel alignment primary and secondary measurements are good; the truck should be fine.

the fact that they didn't bother to colour match one door raises questions about the repair. Ask for pictures of the damaged vehicle, the quotes of the repair, frame measurements and alignment printouts. Without this data, its all a guess. An inspection by a professional before you buy would also work if the other data is not available.

Contact your insurance company regarding insuring a branded vehicle. Will they pay out if its hit and written off a second time?

Reselling a branded vehicle is hard. It would have to be a steal for me to pull the trigger.

Last edited by tech2; May 3rd, 2014 at 7:58 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 8:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting full/comprehensive insurance coverage on a vehicle with a 'salvage' title might prove challenging, especially if it is ten years old. Assuming you get coverage, will they pay replacement cost or give you a much lower 'actual cash value' if you totaled it?

Assuming you can afford to pay cash for a 2004 Z-71, you might want to look for one that is slightly newer, has not been in a crash and costs a bit more. Use your cash as a nice down payment and take out a two-year loan on it. You'll be better off in the long run and won't have such a difficult time trying to sell it later on down the road.

My free advice is worth all that you paid for it. :-)
Old May 4th, 2014, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Guys! My last car was a rebuilt title and it kept it a good while. I had insurance on the vehicle and paid on it from 2011 to 2013.

The truck is not the guy's personal truck. He didn't wreck it, at least I don't think he did. He told me that he hasn't even titled it in his name yet. He has only had it for a month or two.

My only concern would be about the door. If it was hit in the side, which I presume it was due to the miscolored door.

He said it appears the air bags did deploy and he sent a video of it and the only miscolored thing is the door. The bed matches the front of the vehicle. Do you think the air bags would have deployed could have cause it rebuilt title?

I understand the branded title kills the value of the truck sell wise, but if I was to keep it, would the trade be a bad or good one?

I really don't have enough credit nor money to put down on a nice one. My only option really is to sell my Z or trade for one.

Thanks